CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 07-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #191
Pearse Shields

Profile:
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

I think people can agree that mainpage is not the best programme for anything. It's not going to get you to the games, it's not going to make you the strongest, the fastest, or even the best at Crossfit. Most affiliates that I know do cycles with planned workouts; a form of periodization. Glassman called the use of periodization in programming as a means of improving performance "witchcraft". This is reflected in mainpage programming. However, those who are best at Crossfit don't do Crossfit as it is described by Glassman, who is the founder of it. Surely this demonstrates that there is *something* wrong with mainpage programming?

This is even more the case for athletes, people who need a specific type of fitness to accompany their specific set of skills. Fighters, tennis players, baseball players, golfers, runners- all have very specific demands. Crossfit cannot be used as the primary means of physical conditioning for sporting athletes, as it will not have the benefits of a well-planned and specific programme. I was plenty fit and strong when I was doing Crossfit workouts 3 on 1 off. But, I am now much more capable since I have started programming my own workouts.

If scaled appropriately, Crossfit can certainly give good levels of general fitness. But it rarely is, and the levels of fitness it promises are far from what it promises in its slogan, "Forging Elite Fitness". As for injuries, I challenge you to find any other forum which has over 100 documented cases of rhabdo.

Just my 2 cents on this, and why I've changed my stance regarding Crossfit over the past year or so.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #192
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Also, I would like to point out that I totally called this as a Pukie's Bucket thread on the first page.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #193
Amber Cordelli

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post

Scale, scale, scale. The Brand X scaling has several different tiers, and it's up to the individual to figure out where they fit. I haven't persued the scaling in-depth, but from what I've seen, if you pick the right one you shouldn't run into these issues. And if you are pursuing a fitness regimen and are reasonably intelligent, you ought to be able to pick the right one. It's not rocket science.

Seriously, where is the individual accountability?
No, it's not rocket science BUT it's also something that a person would expect their L1 certified trainer to do for them if they joined an affiliate. But instead there are numerous threads on the injury forum that talk about things that happened in a WOD at an affiliate. Sure, you COULD speak up and say "No, I don't think this is a good idea" but so many people go into Crossfit classes thinking that they need to push the limits and they've been holding themselves back but they'll listen to their trainer and go further than they thought they could. And then they walk away injured. And this is due to their "coach's" programming. Not because somebody in a soccer game slide-tackled them and broke their leg. Not because somebody pushed them in a basketball game and it twisted their ankle. Or because they were tackled during a football game and wound up with a concussion. This was because somebody said "Hey, do X, it will make you more fit" and then they walked away broken. Sure, people could go out and do their own research and learn everything there is to know and THEN join an affiliate...but how welcome do you think somebody would be who second guessed everything the owner/coach said? Not very. People pay the money because they think they're getting good instruction and that is often not the case. Maybe this isn't 100% HQs problem, but, a lot of the affiliates out there who have no idea what they're doing look to HQ for guidance and follow the main page or assume that if it's been on the main page it's a worthwhile workout... but pain for the sake of pain isn't always a good thing. And letting people run the show who don't know that will lead to people getting hurt.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #194
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
I think people can agree that mainpage is not the best programme for anything. It's not going to get you to the games, it's not going to make you the strongest, the fastest, or even the best at Crossfit.
But isn't the main page programming done by CFHQ? Shouldn't they of all people best know how to program for Crossfit?

:stir:

Old 07-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #195
Steve Loeding

Profile:

WOW - tons of negativity towards CrossFit on this thread. If you don't do CrossFit, don't believe in the methods (aside from the mainpage programming) then you are free to do your own thing. Everybody is an expert on this forum. Amazing !!!! I meet so few experts in my life and I have found the holy grail of experts.

Do people get injured in CrossFit ? Yes. Should they ? NO. Sometimes it's due to poor form, pushing too hard, using too much weight, or there are underlying weaknesses that result in injury.

The vast majority of clients in CrossFit gyms are looking to get fit, healthy, enjoy the community and workouts, and don't want / need specific programming. You ask them their goals - "get fit".

Scale as needed, sub as needed, give good cues, stop people when form gets bad, etc.

This thread is probably why the majority of people don't read the message boards.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #196
Steve Loeding

Profile:

One of the former Crossfit Games champions (world's fittest man) urinated black and was curled up into a fetal position and said he was experiencing "physiological symptoms of death" during the Crossfit Games.

Ever seen that in an NFL game?

Yeah - I've seen plenty curled up in the fetal position with concussions, being carted off and into an ambulance, broken legs, arms, busted knees, shoulders....

Should we ban football and make fun of it too ?

Old 07-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #197
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Loeding View Post
WOW - tons of negativity towards CrossFit on this thread. If you don't do CrossFit, don't believe in the methods (aside from the mainpage programming) then you are free to do your own thing. Everybody is an expert on this forum. Amazing !!!! I meet so few experts in my life and I have found the holy grail of experts.

Do people get injured in CrossFit ? Yes. Should they ? NO. Sometimes it's due to poor form, pushing too hard, using too much weight, or there are underlying weaknesses that result in injury.

The vast majority of clients in CrossFit gyms are looking to get fit, healthy, enjoy the community and workouts, and don't want / need specific programming. You ask them their goals - "get fit".

Scale as needed, sub as needed, give good cues, stop people when form gets bad, etc.

This thread is probably why the majority of people don't read the message boards.
LOL. Very well stated. Don't quite get the hate myself. It is like going to a Chevy Forum and trashing Chevy's.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #198
Evan Jackson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Loeding View Post
Yeah - I've seen plenty curled up in the fetal position with concussions, being carted off and into an ambulance, broken legs, arms, busted knees, shoulders....

Should we ban football and make fun of it too ?
Yeah, in a ****ing contact sport that just happens to have some of the most elite athletes (the real elite athletes, not the fake ones that CrossFit likes to talk about) running into each other as hard as they can.

You're clearly failing to see the distinct difference.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #199
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
One of the former Crossfit Games champions (world's fittest man) urinated black and was curled up into a fetal position and said he was experiencing "physiological symptoms of death" during the Crossfit Games.

Ever seen that in an NFL game?
Actually Robb Wolf had John Welbourne on his podcast (episode 65) talking mainly about the Iowa state case where the college football players went to the hospital having rhabdo from a conditioning workout. He basically said peeing brown or black the morning after a game is almost standard procedure.

But that is the NFL, not the latest trend in fitness.

I also find it interesting how far afield this thread has become.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #200
Michael Kelley

Profile:

You know, sometimes people get sick and injured by sheer chance. They up those chances every time they get off the couch and move around. People who exercise stand a pretty good chance of being injured at some point. People who exercise with intensity stand an even greater chance. Such is life.

Someone earlier mentioned that a distinction needs to be made between CF the exercise program and CF the sport. That's fair. I also think that a distinction needs to be made between the CF mainpage and HQ and what is done at affiliates that do their own programming without following the nonsensical "programming" offered on the mainpage. It seems that many gyms have figured out that they need to be smarter about these things and offer oly lift classes outside of the regular "classes." They have trainers who actually have studied some things and can speak intelligently about why they teach certain ways. They don't simply follow the website all the time.

I think CFHQ should do better about its programming and understand that they can market intensity without eliminating judgment. That said, if a client agrees to pay someone whose only credentials are a two day training certificate, a CF logo, and abzors, and decides to chuck his brain out the window in the process, then he's at fault for injuries he sustains doing things he ought not be doing.

As for achilles tears, I know 7-8 people who have had surgery for repairs. One of them was a crossfitter. He did it because he allowed his form to fail late in a workout. The others tore their playing football, soccer, or in the military. I don't think it's that uncommon an injury among active people.