CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Lilith Evans

Profile:
Question Wondering if it gets easier

I started at a local crossfit gym last December and am enjoying it immensely, but after 5 months of 3 days a week all my muscles still hurt. I am a 58 year old woman and have been fairly active all my life, but never anything as intense as crossfit, I'm wondering if my body will ever get used to it, or if I am missing something.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Matt Corley

Profile:
Re: Wondering if it gets easier

Are you scaling your workouts?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Jared Ashley

Profile:

When I was doing CF main-page I was very often sore, and although I got less sore as time went on I found it to be a little too much some days. And I'm a 29 year old man who has also always been fairly active... odds are my body recovers a lot more easily than yours.

When I started moving toward a strength bias with shorter metcons I started being less sore... usually little enough that it doesn't affect my day. I am stronger now and still have good metcon capacity and endurance, although my muscular endurance isn't quite what it used to be, so certain WOD's now take longer than before.

I think the number of reps in many main-page WODs lends itself to unnecessary soreness, even if you're scaling weight and such appropriately.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Liz Wolfe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post

I think the number of reps in many main-page WODs lends itself to unnecessary soreness, even if you're scaling weight and such appropriately.
Agreed. I feel better when I scale a bit such that I get a great workout and maintain a high level of "try hard" without struggling to perform. There can be a fine line there.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
When I started moving toward a strength bias with shorter metcons I started being less sore... usually little enough that it doesn't affect my day.
This. Exactly.

I was always sore when I was doing typical CF WODs. It never really stopped, and I got tired of it, and that was one of the main reasons I moved on.

Now, I pick and choose my conditioning carefully. No barbells. No crazy high reps. Short. Smart.

Even though I'm moving much, much heavier weights for squats and Olympic lifts, I'm not sore from that in the way that I was sore from WODs.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Matt Corley

Profile:

Quote:
When I started moving toward a strength bias with shorter metcons I started being less sore... usually little enough that it doesn't affect my day. I am stronger now and still have good metcon capacity and endurance, although my muscular endurance isn't quite what it used to be, so certain WOD's now take longer than before.
excellent post
Old 05-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Diane Curtiss

Profile:

At 54 I can sympathize. I found out early on that my body just does not recover in the same manner. What I found to work: I also do the three days a week - I found I HAVE to have the rest day inbetween. Religiously, and I mean every single day whether you work out or not, do stretching and mobility work along with foam rolling (Love the rumble roller!). I found a lot of my problem related to tight and shortened muscles & tendons due to age and sitting at my job. A good massage will also help (I get one about once a month). I am about 3 months out and find that while I am still challenged by the workouts, I no longer have the soreness.
Good luck and hope things improve for you.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
Casey Connor

Profile:

I've been heavily active in fitness for the last 15 years. I've never stopped being sore. Rather, I've come to accept it. Using a foam roller and a lacrosse ball on sore muscles really helps out. Also, make sure you are getting plenty of water, eating right, and adequate sleep.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
Lilith Evans

Profile:

Thanks for all the responses. I do scale the workouts when it comes to weight, and sadly still use a band for pullups, but I do the same reps as the others in the group (average age 27) The WODs work me hard which is cool, but not to the point of exhaustion, so I guess I thought I would just get used to it. Time to invest in a roller!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
Matthew J Powell

Profile:

Hang in there! My wife is still using a band but tries her hardest everytime she walks in. She takes pride in small gains and the little things everyday like new PR by 1 rep!

Cheers to you!