CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Casey M Strom

Profile:
New To MB not to Crossfit

HI I am Casey

I have been doing Crossfit on and off for the last year and a half.

I have a goal of dropping 35 lbs, currently I am at. More importantly I am trying to make myself an well rounded athlete to help me with my Muay Thai ( mind you I have only been doing that for 6 months).

I have recently accomplished a few hero wods Rx'd (Randy for example). It has been a slow road for me imo. I think my progress is hindered by my wod choices and nutrition( I have just started the Paleo Lifestyle and loving it so far). Also I still lack in so many skills that finding a wod that I can do is frustrating.

Skills That I still can't do:
Pull-ups ( yeah I know thats sad and I think it is all mental now)
My Overhead Squats are hit and miss
Double Unders
Anything with the Rings
Handstand push-ups
Effective Ball-slams

I also need to work on my overall strength

My list used to be bigger and I am whittling them down. I just want to get into the online community for some help, also for a way to track those weaknesses. It also helps to hear from others who have similar issues as me. Plus being out to sea on a ship makes Wod choices more interesting.

By Years End I want to be able to clear that list of haven't been able to do's and ad them to my arsenal.

I guess I am asking if yall have a selection process for your wods to balance out your work for the 3 day on period or do you just grab and go?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Chris Hansen

Profile:
Re: New To MB not to Crossfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey M Strom View Post

I guess I am asking if yall have a selection process for your wods to balance out your work for the 3 day on period or do you just grab and go?
Casey, have you visited your local affiliate? If you have one in the area, I strongly suggest going and checking it out. The beauty of crossfit is that it can easily be scaled to match your needs.

A good trainer will teach you how to correct your OHS, they will teach you how to scale the pullups (I recommend scaling the pullups instead of avoiding the wods that have them)
Old 05-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Casey M Strom

Profile:

UpDate:
Can do doubles Unders just can only string a few together and my Ball slams are coming along nicely they are hit or miss.

I have not gone to a affiliate, I mainly work out in a friends back yard gym ( he is very good at all this) and he coaches me along quite well, I still get mentally defeated at pull ups.

I am editing my weight loss goal from pounds to shirt sizes. I want to be able to wear a medium instead of a large and go from a 36 to a 32.

Last edited by Casey M Strom; 05-15-2011 at 12:18 PM..
Old 05-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey M Strom View Post
UpDate: I still get mentally defeated at pull ups.
Have you tried using bands to assist you on your pull ups? This would still let you go through the motion and you could decrease resistance as you gain strength. You could also try changing your grip (chin up vs pullup, neutral grip = easier on the shoulders, etc). The best way to get better at pullups...well, is do more pullups. If it's a goal, I would try the assisted band route and work your way up to an unassisted dead hang.

You can do it! When I started back in Feb, I could do one/maybe two. Can do a set of 10 dead hangs now...still working on the kipping. These stiff shoulders are not a fan just yet
Old 05-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
Casey M Strom

Profile:

I have used the bands but never consistantly.