CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-26-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
Steve Kaspar

Profile:
i have looked, but i havent seen any pushup contest on the message board. i was just wondering what some of the crossfitters pr is for as many pushups as you can do in 30 minutes.
just would like to compare.
i got in 660
thanks
steve kaspar
Old 12-26-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
what's your 2 minute max for pushups?
Old 12-26-2006, 05:15 PM   #3
Steve Kaspar

Profile:
franklin
i have never done a 2 minute test. i can do 60 in 1 minute. i have never ever worked on speed, in any tpye of exercise, but just joining and looking at the crossfit.com message board, and lots of the posts, i see they are after speed on a lot of the WOD.i am a bit older(51) and have always been taught to go slow and stay in controll while doing an exercise.. i see the benifits of speed, and will have to change my workout ways come august.
i decided i want to do 1 more year of bicycle racing, so this august when i quit my bicycle racing, i will devote my time to crossfit... full time. now, i just do a few movements, saving my strenght to my bicycle training/racing. i do loys of ab work, and lots of pullups, dips and pushups.
crossfit is really cool. i look at the site daily. i love my bike racing. its very very hard, but i am looking forward to the change, doing crossfit full time next august.
steve kaspar
Old 01-10-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Mathew F. Bunch

Profile:
Best for 2 minutes was 103, but that was to Army, not Crossfit, standards. My best effort for max effort push-ups is 47, with the following rules:
1-starting position is front leaning rest, arms locked out
2-bottom position is chest to floor
3-no sagging or bridging allowed at all
4-no breaks allowed, to include resting in the front leaning rest. Once motion stops, the test is ended.
5-there is no time limit; the test continues as long as you are moving up or moving down
You army types will find this much more difficult than your standard APFT.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
Steve Kaspar

Profile:
matthew
my nose hits the floor, but my upper stomach and lower chest is 3" off the floor. that is about as far down as i can go. my body is straight. i think my style is fine, but it may be off from the way others do their pushups.
steve kaspar
Old 01-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
Martin Schap

Profile:
Matthew's test is a good one. I think there's no reason that getting very close to the floor shouldn't count if it is a ROM issue, although it might be something worth working on with stretching. When I test I like to move at a steady pace, aiming for no bounce at the bottom and a full elbow lockout at the top. When I train I like to GTG push-ups and take a reast midway through the set. For instance, right now I've been doing sets of 30 throughout the day, so I'll do 20, then hold at the top for 30 seconds or so until I start to feel a little uncomfortable, and then grind out 10 more. This gives me a little bit of the feeling of being near the end of a long hard set without doing all those reps, which would defeat the purpose of GTG.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
Mathew F. Bunch

Profile:
No worries-my point is that there is more than one way to test the push-up, ranging from very strict (the rules I posted) to not-quite-so-strict. For example, Army APFT standards (again, my record is 103 in the two minutes allotted):

My recommendation would be to post your results and the standards you used, whether that is Army APFT standards, the standards I used above, 1 minute or more, or some other standard. That way others who have 1-already tested or 2-would like to test, can see how they compare to those using similar standards and figure out what the Bell Curve actually is and where they fall on that curve.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Exercises