CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 02-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #31
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: Interview with the future UFC MW champ

I really don't think it's a fighters job to have exciting fights, I think it's their job to win.
I know fans hate it but, oh well. People are trying to win to put food on the table and make a living.
It's just like any other sport. The Spurs may play boring basketball, but oh well they win. It's their job to win not lose while attempting to dunk the ball 100 times a game for your enjoyment.
Just like it's a fighters job to win not to stick his face in there and get knocked out because you sitting on your couch eating potato chips demand it.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #32
Aaron Evans

Profile:

I think fighters know its their job to have "exciting fights". I dont think I have read or seen an interview for any upcoming fight where one of the first things the fighter says is "I just want to have an exciting fight for the fans". While fighters are trying to win to put food on the table, that food is put there by fans---thus, if fans dont like it, its not quite "oh well". Look at Forrest Griffin, not exactly the best record in MMA--but a top draw. Look at John Fitch, great MMA record--no one wants to watch him. I have confidence in saying that if both fighters lost 3 in a row---Forrest would still have a job (based entirely on his fighting style), Fitch definitely would NOT.
Fighting isnt exactly a no risk job, sometimes you actually do have to put your face in there, hope you dont get KO'd, and bring the fight to your opponent. While thats not a guarantee for a win, your chances of keeping your job are much better (just ask Stephan Bonnar).
Old 02-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #33
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Evans View Post
I think fighters know its their job to have "exciting fights". I dont think I have read or seen an interview for any upcoming fight where one of the first things the fighter says is "I just want to have an exciting fight for the fans". While fighters are trying to win to put food on the table, that food is put there by fans---thus, if fans dont like it, its not quite "oh well". Look at Forrest Griffin, not exactly the best record in MMA--but a top draw. Look at John Fitch, great MMA record--no one wants to watch him. I have confidence in saying that if both fighters lost 3 in a row---Forrest would still have a job (based entirely on his fighting style), Fitch definitely would NOT.
Fighting isnt exactly a no risk job, sometimes you actually do have to put your face in there, hope you dont get KO'd, and bring the fight to your opponent. While thats not a guarantee for a win, your chances of keeping your job are much better (just ask Stephan Bonnar).
Old 02-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #34
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

That's funny because when I complain GSP puts on boring fights everyone says that he's exciting and what not. Then I say that he fights not to lose and they say he's a smart fighter.

Now I'm saying I find Anderson Silva exciting and what not. And everyone else is on his case.

I can't win!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:54 AM   #35
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
That's funny because when I complain GSP puts on boring fights everyone says that he's exciting and what not. Then I say that he fights not to lose and they say he's a smart fighter.

Now I'm saying I find Anderson Silva exciting and what not. And everyone else is on his case.

I can't win!
But the difference is GSP doesn't dance around he actually enagages the fighter whether you enjoy wrestling/ground control or not. Jason you can win.....just come to the GSP side.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #36
Aaron Evans

Profile:

I think the one big thing that seperates the two (AS & GSP), GSP has such a high regard for the sport that he would never do some of the things that AS does during a fight. That seems to be the line that is drawn between the guys that like/dislike AS. AS's abilities are clearly not debatable.
@Jason--If you are an AS fan, cool---he's an extremely talented fighter, just be ready to hear from the people that dont like him. Hell, I'm a huge BJ Penn fan---we're in the same boat.
Enjoy the fights tomorrow!!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #37
Matt Payne

Profile:

Yeah it should be a really good night of fights!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #38
Celio Silva

Profile:

Tomorrow is gonna be SICK!!!

Did anybody see the press conference & weight-ins??? Wow, Vitor & Silva's intensity during their stare off was INSANE!!!

Silva has finally met his demise and he is freaking out about!

The bottomline is whether I am right or wrong (we'll find out in the next 27 hours) Silva has finally got himself a fight! Belfort is coming for the KO and Silva will have to fight! The only dancing he'll be doing this time around is when he gets hit so hard by Vitor he will bust a move on his way down like he is on rollerskates before crumbling to the ground and being finished with follow up strikes.

The rest of the card...

Franklin vs Griffin This fight is Franklin's to lose, but Griffin could rob him with a split decision. He better KO Griffin just to be sure.

Bones vs Bader decision I think this fight will be a lot closer than people are expecting, so I am calling a decision as an upset. Who knows, Bader might even surprise the light out of everyone and stop the Bones hype train...

Torres vs Banuelos submission

Kid vs Johnson KO

Ellenberger vs Rocha TKO

Cerrone vs Kelly submission

Mendes vs Omigawa decision

Pierce vs Robertson TKO
Old 02-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #39
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
But the difference is GSP doesn't dance around he actually enagages the fighter whether you enjoy wrestling/ground control or not. Jason you can win.....just come to the GSP side.
NEVER!

You'll have to drag me kicking and screaming to the other side.

Anderson Silva is my favorite fighter. I don't think Vitor Belfort is better than him. I am however worried he will lose this fight because he doesn't seem as hungry as he was before and he does screw around too much.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #40
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Future UFC MW champ? That's why I love Anderson. When he's serious he's awesome.