CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #21
Troy Becker

Profile:
Re: Interview with the future UFC MW champ

I always figured that it was the same thing as people hating on Michael Jordan back in the day.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #22
Pearse Shields

Profile:

The man acts like a fool in the cage. He makes fun of his opponents. As much as I am a fan of his, I'm also put out by the way he acts at times.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:31 PM   #23
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
The man acts like a fool in the cage. He makes fun of his opponents. As much as I am a fan of his, I'm also put out by the way he acts at times.
Would you say the same about Ali?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #24
Paul A Booth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton West View Post
What has he done to show he has no class? I do hear some people say this about him, but then they turn around and say how much they like fighters like Nick and Nate Diaz.
Have you seen his fights? He shows a complete lack of respect for his fellow fighters - I don't like the Diaz Bros for the same reason.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #25
Paul A Booth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
Yes, but I would also include that he was a Draft-Dodger as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #26
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
Silva is no Ali...... ALi did some showboating as a mind game...Silva taunts because he wants to humiliate his opponent when he feels they "disrespect him".
Old 02-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #27
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
Silva is no Ali...... ALi did some showboating as a mind game...Silva taunts because he wants to humiliate his opponent when he feels they "disrespect him".
Silvia taunts his opponents to point out the BS fights White throws his way.

Any fight he has had with a honest to god real fighter Silvia has been all business and extremely respectful post fight. When he has to fight jokers that are far bellow him in skill he makes a point to make a scene about it.

Example, in the Leites fight when Leites would just drop onto his back any time Silva went to engage in stand up. The guys strategy was to NOT fight standing up at any point and to force Silva to come into his guard without forcing him to go there.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:24 AM   #28
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Silvia taunts his opponents to point out the BS fights White throws his way.

Any fight he has had with a honest to god real fighter Silvia has been all business and extremely respectful post fight. When he has to fight jokers that are far bellow him in skill he makes a point to make a scene about it.

Example, in the Leites fight when Leites would just drop onto his back any time Silva went to engage in stand up. The guys strategy was to NOT fight standing up at any point and to force Silva to come into his guard without forcing him to go there.
Silva's job is to fight whomever UFC throws at him... it's his job and responsibility.It is not his job to decide who is worthy of not. It's his employer's (UFC). He's not a freelancer. As fan's we don't need him " making a point" we need to see him engage and make the best fight he can out of it. As has been mentioned before he could make a point by knocking the guy out quickly..
Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #29
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
Silva's job is to fight whomever UFC throws at him... it's his job and responsibility.It is not his job to decide who is worthy of not. It's his employer's (UFC). He's not a freelancer. As fan's we don't need him " making a point" we need to see him engage and make the best fight he can out of it. As has been mentioned before he could make a point by knocking the guy out quickly..
He can only knock someone out who engages him. As the long standing champ he has everything to lose by going outside of his comfort zone to make a fight "exciting". It is up to the challenger to push the pace and force the current champ to make a mistake.

Could Silva gone to the ground with Lietes and tried to make the game more exciting? Sure, but it would have been risking the belt and the longest win streak in the UFC. His job is not to push the pace.

And if you watch every fight that a fighter engages him, he does not shirk away, he meets them head on, but he is not goign to stick his neck out if the challenger refuses to engage.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #30
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
He can only knock someone out who engages him. As the long standing champ he has everything to lose by going outside of his comfort zone to make a fight "exciting". It is up to the challenger to push the pace and force the current champ to make a mistake.

Could Silva gone to the ground with Lietes and tried to make the game more exciting? Sure, but it would have been risking the belt and the longest win streak in the UFC. His job is not to push the pace.

And if you watch every fight that a fighter engages him, he does not shirk away, he meets them head on, but he is not goign to stick his neck out if the challenger refuses to engage.
I disagree. I think as the champ his job is to put on a good fight for the fans also, not showboat like a ******* and then we make the excuse he has everything to lose by engaging? That seems a little odd to me. Some of his antics(Maia) were a little more than playing it safe.... He himself has said he did so because he felt disrespected.. Oh well. I'm not saying he has to take undo risk but his antics were over the top in his last few fights.