CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
Sid Cranston

Profile:
an idea to improve the CF community

What if affiliates offered free classes to member of other CF boxes? I think it would be a huge selling point. If I travel to your town, I could look up your gym and workout at no extra cost. In return, if you were to come to my town, you could do the same at my box.

I think it is a win-win situation. From a business perspective, you will increase the membership rolls because you now have an additional free incentive. From a member standpoint, I know I can go anywhere and get the same quality service.

This also shows the world that crossfit is a family- no matter where you go, you are always welcome (as long as you have a membership with some affiliate somewhere). Maybe have a CF ID card or an employee can simply call your home gym to verify.

One of the nice things is that we can do some version of CF just about anywhere but it would be cool if I could drop in to a CF joint while travelling and not have to pay extra.

Sort of the same reason I buy my truck tires at Walmart - I can go to any Walmart anywhere and they will honor the warranty.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: an idea to improve the CF community

Some gyms will do that--I know at CFSD we'll give a free first-time drop-in for out of towners--but you have to consider that each gym is an individual business trying to stay afloat and revenue is important. I'm not getting a kickback from CFNYC or CFLA or whoever when one of their members comes to my gym, and it devalues what you offer to your members when you give away too much to people who aren't your members. You can't make a comparison with Walmart--they're a multibillion dollar franchise (not a bunch of affiliates) so a Walmart in San Diego gets bankrolled by Walmart HQ so they're not losing money if they swap out the defective tires I bought in LA.

I don't judge an affiliate if they want me to pay a $10-15 drop-in fee when I'm traveling.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
Tyler Schaeffer

Profile:
Re: an idea to improve the CF community

Ya, topic has been pretty well covered under "drop in etiquette" or something like that. I think one consensus is to buy a shirt while you are there as a "fee" of sorts, which is cool cuz I like to collect cf shirts from other boxes.