CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
Johnny Moncrief

Profile:
Zone Blocks: Fried food, breading

Hey all. This is my first post on the forums so forgive me if I break any protocol/ask a dumb question.

I've been crossfitting for a couple months now and am getting ready to begin a Zone diet. I've calculated my protein requirements, organized and scheduled my meals, etc. but I have one question about the block method that I can't seem to find an answer to in the text/online.

I know that in any crossfit diet we should avoiding downing a lot of fried food, but I have to account for sometimes needing to hit up a fast food on the road and I also live in TX so it's impractical to think I'll never eat fried again.

My question is this: When calculating blocks in a meal, how many blocks of carbs should I count off with something like a piece of fried fish? Or is it a negligible amount that I should just ignore?

Thanks for the help! Cheers, y'all.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: Zone Blocks: Fried food, breading

I don't think it is so much fried food but what type of oil you are using for frying. If you are doing the typical flour/milk and or egg dip, coating for your frying I would think this is going to be very low carb wise. If doing a coating that is a batter type it could add a few more carbs but unless it is overly thick I don't think this would add a great deal of carbs either.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Daniel Quinn

Profile:
Re: Zone Blocks: Fried food, breading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Moncrief View Post
Hey all. This is my first post on the forums so forgive me if I break any protocol/ask a dumb question.

I've been crossfitting for a couple months now and am getting ready to begin a Zone diet. I've calculated my protein requirements, organized and scheduled my meals, etc. but I have one question about the block method that I can't seem to find an answer to in the text/online.

I know that in any crossfit diet we should avoiding downing a lot of fried food, but I have to account for sometimes needing to hit up a fast food on the road and I also live in TX so it's impractical to think I'll never eat fried again.

My question is this: When calculating blocks in a meal, how many blocks of carbs should I count off with something like a piece of fried fish? Or is it a negligible amount that I should just ignore?

Thanks for the help! Cheers, y'all.
When I tried doing the Zone thing (and cheating the Zone thing) what was helpful for me was to find a fast-food chain that serves similar foods, go to their site and take a look at the nutritional information. Fried chicken from the local shack and KFC might be somewhat different, but they are probably close enough. It at least gets you in the ballpark, if not in the seats behind the dugout.

This site also has a huge database of restaurant foods you can use - I use it all the time: WFS - http://www.calorieking.com/