CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-17-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Kevin Rogers

Profile:

Hey-

Jim asked me what my Scots Hammer workout was, ... so here it is.

We throw 2 hammers in Highland Games competitions with one being light (16lbs) and the other being heavy (22lbs). They're both thrown from a stationary position... not like the Track&Field wire hammer, and the wooden or plastic handle is 50" in length.

I've attached steel blades to my boots to help stay attached to the earth and I dig in a few inches with my blades into the topsoil. I also use a good home brew of tacky for my hands to hold on to handle because with a little work you can generate an enormous force with the hammer winds. In competition we usually wind 3 times to max speed and ... release. My best with the light hammer is 100'+ and heavy hammer is 75'+.

So, my workout usually involves 15 to 20 sets of hammer winds with each rep being 5 to 7 individual winds with the hammer... so its something like 100-120 winds... without releasing the hammer. When I'm getting prepared for a comp I'll work with both light and heavy hammers and get some throws in too.

Getting these reps in has helped me win several good comps and I'm flying to Scotland to throw at the Masters World Championships in July, ... so I better go get some reps in now.

Thanks for asking and good luck in your training,

-K
Old 04-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Any tips for caber tossing?

I had a go at that last week and it was bloody tricky!
Old 04-17-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
Kevin Rogers

Profile:

Don-

If you can learn the "pick" it will be much easier. Don't waste all your energy lifting it up and you'll be ready for a big pull. Get momemtum in the stick by driving with your shoulder... pick a spot, ... plant both feet down and pull. Most people pull too late,... once it goes past your ear -> PULL. Finish fully extended, on toes ... hands high.

Good luck with your cabers,

-K