CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-16-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
Vanessa Richardson

Profile:
Max height possible with poles for pu/mu bar?

Sorry to post on this one again, lots of searching and canít find a specific answer to this one.

Iím building my outdoor set up for pull ups, I wanted to have one pull up bar between two poles, and between the 2nd and 3rd poles have a much higher one to hang rings off.

How high will I need bar to be so the 6í tall hubby can do a MU from hang on it with the rings? And is it possible to get poles long enough for this and will they wobble or will I need a different set up for something high enough? I was planning 1/3 in the ground, concreted in.

So, if someone who has actually done it can advise pole/post diameter and length for both that would be great. Was going to go with 1Ē bars.

Cheers,

Ness
Old 11-16-2009, 02:07 AM   #2
Mauricio Leal

Profile:
Re: Max height possible with poles for pu/mu bar?

This thread (WFS) has relevant discussion to your main Qs I think. This one too (WFS). 10' seems to be recommended to be able to do a ring MU from an extended hang without bonking your self. Although, for the amount of extra work and structural material needed to keep it from flexing much, I personally think the value of being able to do MUs with extended legs is overrated when you can just L-sit or tuck the bottom portion. But a high bar does help for other transitions and dynamic movements later on if that is important to you..

It really helps to have redundancy in the structure to stabilize it. Consider a triangular or rectangular configuration of your posts and just have three or four bars instead of only two in the side by side config. The guy in the second link used 6x6s with 4' (!) of post/concrete depth in the ground. That's probably slightly overkill, however his longest posts were 16' so that's only 1/4 in the ground. If you wanna do it once and forget about it might as well go big. Also consider having multiple holes for different bar height settings, and have it double as a squat rack.

I'm planning on doing one of these myself in Spring, but I've learned from my last pull-up bar project that a little extra planning and care goes a long way. You can have it done in a day or two haphazardly, or doodle over breakfast for a couple days beforehand, bounce ideas and measurements around, write up a plan then go get your materials and build. Good luck, building is fuuuuun!
Old 11-16-2009, 03:08 AM   #3
Vanessa Richardson

Profile:

That 2nd link is exactly what I need - thanks so much! Have all the tools to dig deep holes so getting them down 4' won't be too hard. Will take some pics as we go. I am SO adding a rope climb now that I have seen that!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
Shane Gibson

Profile:

I also have info and instructions of my back yard rig that I built in this thread:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=49994

I built something exactly as you described and it has been great.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Vanessa Richardson

Profile:

Thanks Shane, just checked it out, very nice setup! That is pretty much what I want to start with. Thanks so much!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:23 AM   #6
Scott Dyck

Profile:

I'm 6'1", and I can do muscle-ups from my 9' high bar with my legs tucked a little at the bottom. I would have put the bar at 10' but I wanted to be able to jump up and reach the bar for pullups when I'm tired without having to climb on something.
I used 14' 6X6 posts with 10' up and 4' down, and they're really solid.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:58 AM   #7
Vanessa Richardson

Profile:

So I have come across a slight problem.

Close friend is a builder. He spoke to the local timber yard for me. They happen to have the contract nationally here in Oz for all playground and military pull up stations. They build them all the time and they are really solid.

They use Tallowood which costs $250 per post (140mm x 140mm), as does the H5 timber. So, $1250 just to get enough timber to do 2 mu and 2 pu bars, plus cement and all the work to get it in. They said treated pine splits after a while..

aarrgghh....
Old 12-02-2009, 06:42 AM   #8
Shane Gibson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa Richardson View Post
So I have come across a slight problem.

Close friend is a builder. He spoke to the local timber yard for me. They happen to have the contract nationally here in Oz for all playground and military pull up stations. They build them all the time and they are really solid.

They use Tallowood which costs $250 per post (140mm x 140mm), as does the H5 timber. So, $1250 just to get enough timber to do 2 mu and 2 pu bars, plus cement and all the work to get it in. They said treated pine splits after a while..

aarrgghh....
What!?!? I got pressure treated lumber, the cement and the metal poles all together for well under $100 at lowes. I don't think you need anything beyond good ol' pressure treated posts, that is what I used and it held up great.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
John Clark

Profile:

Hi Vanessa, here's the outdoor unit i built for my old location...now I get to do it again, as I'm finally getting a space of my own! I used a military station http://www.armystudyguide.com/conten...ing-pods.shtml (wfs) as my model, and built it up a little. I used 16' 6x6 uprights ($40) with 4' burried, 1 inch galv pipe in 5 foot lengths (2 set at 7.5 feet high, the others at 8 feet with stepups on the center post), and a cross beam of double thick 16 foot, 2x6 treated boards to hang rings on. Here's a WFS link http://gallery.me.com/rockhardfitness/100159 to some pix of the structure. It turned out really well, solid as a rock even without cement in the holes. Give a shout if you want to know more. John
Old 01-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #10
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Hi Vanessa, here's the outdoor unit i built for my old location...now I get to do it again, as I'm finally getting a space of my own! I used a military station http://www.armystudyguide.com/conten...ing-pods.shtml (wfs) as my model, and built it up a little. I used 16' 6x6 uprights ($40) with 4' burried, 1 inch galv pipe in 5 foot lengths (2 set at 7.5 feet high, the others at 8 feet with stepups on the center post), and a cross beam of double thick 16 foot, 2x6 treated boards to hang rings on. Here's a WFS link http://gallery.me.com/rockhardfitness/100159 to some pix of the structure. It turned out really well, solid as a rock even without cement in the holes. Give a shout if you want to know more. John
WOW , I've seen some good outdoor PU station builds here but that is exceptional. Thanks for all the documentation, I'm totally copying this in the spring.