CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Ian Staab

Profile:
What "Schedule" Pipe for Pullup system?

I have been calling around for steel pipe to make a pullup system and one of the places I contacted said they have "Schedule 20" galvanized pipe, 1 inch diameter. They said it's the same outside diameter as schedule 40 but it is a weaker pipe... Our brackets have been bored to fit a schedule 40, 1 inch diameter pipe.

Does anyone know if this will be sufficient for a system that will have about span 3.5 feet between supports??
Old 01-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Michael Schaefer

Profile:
Re: What "Schedule" Pipe for Pullup system?

Ian, I was going to attempt to calculate this for you this morning, however, according to my pipe book, 1" doesn't come in Sch 20. Now, I'm not saying my books are infallible, but we don't use 1" Sch 20 for anything. It may be used by the firewater guys, but not for civil/process engineering.

To cut to the chase, I've run the numbers on sch 40; use the sch 40/std wall pipe and you'll be fine.

I am NOT a professional engineer...keep in mind you are taking advice from someone on the internet. no liability, legal recourse, hurt yourself at your own risk, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Staab View Post
I have been calling around for steel pipe to make a pullup system and one of the places I contacted said they have "Schedule 20" galvanized pipe, 1 inch diameter. They said it's the same outside diameter as schedule 40 but it is a weaker pipe... Our brackets have been bored to fit a schedule 40, 1 inch diameter pipe.

Does anyone know if this will be sufficient for a system that will have about span 3.5 feet between supports??
Old 01-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Ian Staab

Profile:

Thanks Michael... We ended up grabbing some pipe from a local plumbing supply company. They said it was "Schedule 20" pipe, but I'm not too sure the guy had any idea what he was talking about.

Either way, the pull up system is installed and is rock solid.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Ian Strompf

Profile:

the pipe is usually electronically labeled what material it is.