CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
David Meverden

Profile:
Running: How do I fix this?

Background: A while back I read Chi running and did my best to adopt that style. It was semi successful but still didn't feel great so I've been looking into the POSE method of learning running. I found that I had been landing on my toes, not the ball of my foot, and have been working to correct that, but recently it seems like a lot more things have been getting screwed up too. My running has been slow, feels stiff and fatigues my muscles, makes my calves sore a hell, and just generally is very unpleasant, so I video taped my running.

It's not pretty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oFdq_iOAw8 (WFS)

I'm kicking my feet way back, which must mean I'm pushing off, right? My foot is not getting pulled off the ground correctly. I'm sure you guys can point out some more stuff.

So, how do I fix this? What drills would be good for this? Any good mental cues to think about? I just can't seem to feel that correct pull.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: Running: How do I fix this?

I'm not an expert but it looks fairly good to me.

Try the wall drill. Go up about 2 feet away from a wall and try to pull your foot off the ground to your butt without touching the wall.

For the foot strike issue you can try hopping on two feet with minimal squatting. If you hop properly you will land on your toes and then your heels will immediately come into contact with the ground, which is good.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Tommer Vardi

Profile:

also not an expert only have my own barefoot running background to comment. But:

I think you are over reaching + are too upright. pause the video at 12 seconds in at the moment of foot strike it is around a foot's length in front of the body. Also, your torso is completely upright. I would lean forward (the entire torso, not break at the hips). This should automatically shorten your stride, or atleast move the contact point underneath the hips

hope this helps

T-dawg Vardi
Old 01-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
John McBrien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
My running has been slow, feels stiff and fatigues my muscles, makes my calves sore a hell, and just generally is very unpleasant, so I video taped my running.

I'm kicking my feet way back, which must mean I'm pushing off, right? My foot is not getting pulled off the ground correctly. I'm sure you guys can point out some more stuff. So, how do I fix this? What drills would be good for this? Any good mental cues to think about? I just can't seem to feel that correct pull.
First, your calves are sore as a result of your active landing. Ideally you want a relaxed landing on the ball of foot (BOF) that will allow your heels to likely kiss the ground. And as a clarification, the BOF hops should not be on your toes; a toe landing will cause unnecessary muscle activation of your calves and contributes to the overwhelming soreness. It also contributes to pushing off in the back, which you're doing a little bit. It's less pronounced than your active landing though. You want to think about pulling your foot directly underneath you with your hamstrings, not pushing off with your calves.

Second, as T-dawg pointed out, you're landing outside of your general center of mass (GCM). If you look at your left foot at 0:04, you'll notice your foot is supinating pretty badly. Landing under your GCM will help fix this. Also based on how high your foot is flying when you're pulling tells me that you're likely using your hip flexors as you "reach" outside of your GCM to pull and then push yourself forward.

See if you can find a certified CFE affiliate near you and have them videotape you and then they can provide some hands on drill work. A few changes would make a big difference in your running mechanics.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

Thanks for the replies everyone! Good call on the foot landing forward of center of gravity . I'll try to fix some things and post another video in a few days.

Questions:
1) How will I know when I'm landing less actively? I'm not sure I know exactly what that means, or at least, don't know how to actually implement that. I am landing on my BOF now, with a slight heel touch, right?

2) I know that in Romanovs running Pose the body is in a figure 4 (See image below) but I don't understand how to get there just pulling with the hamstring. The femur has to come up and the knee lifts but we aren't supposed to use the hip flexors and other muscles such to do it. Do people at 5k kind of pace really lift their leg this much? Should I just not worry about emulating that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pose.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	5640  
Old 01-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
Shane Skowron

Profile:

The amount of pull depends on the speed you're going. If you're doing a slow easy pace, the leg is not pulled up as high as in that picture. On the other hand, a 800m interval will probably involve a lot of pull.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Here's your new cue: try to be short while running - don't bob up and down. I've had that problem you describe and that is what helped me. Credit goes to legendary runner, the late Gordon Pirie for that one.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
John McBrien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
1) How will I know when I'm landing less actively? I'm not sure I know exactly what that means, or at least, don't know how to actually implement that. I am landing on my BOF now, with a slight heel touch, right?
You are landing BOF, but your heel in some of the frames on the video does not lightly "kiss" the ground, which I believe is contributing to your calf soreness. And in terms of knowing what is less active, if you're actively firing your hamstrings and don't feel your calves, you know you're on the right track. It's difficult to describe; you have to feel it.

Quote:
2) I know that in Romanovs running Pose the body is in a figure 4 (See image below) but I don't understand how to get there just pulling with the hamstring. The femur has to come up and the knee lifts but we aren't supposed to use the hip flexors and other muscles such to do it. Do people at 5k kind of pace really lift their leg this much? Should I just not worry about emulating that?
If you pull the hamstring straight up the leg, you'll be in the correct position ideally. So how does that translate to forward movement? Leaning from the ankles. Your general center of mass must pass the BOF in order to generate forward movement if utilizing proper running mechanics. As Shane stated, your speed and pace will dictate how high your foot is flying. The same is true with the lean; more lean = more speed. Why utilize the hip flexor to pull approximately 2% of your body weight (the weight of your foot) over the hamstring which is a much bigger and stronger muscle? It isn't to say there's no hip flexor involvement but with proper mechanics you don't want hip flexor or quad dominance. The goal is to minimize the work you are doing.

If you can, send your file in a .MOV format to info@crossfitendurance.com and the other coaches or I will take a look at it and give you more feedback. However, it's extremely difficult to get some of this across without hands on work. If you can seek out a CFE certified affiliate, they should be more helpful as well.