CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Daniel Sonsini

Profile:
Muscle-Ups?

Do your arms have to be fully locked out at the start of the Muscle-Up?
Old 12-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:
Re: Muscle-Ups?

Yes. Once you have your false grip, you'll likely have to turn the rings away from your body 180 degrees ("turned out") to allow your arms to reach lock-out.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

This is a big pet peeve of mine. A lot of people don't do this and it ****es me off. We go full extension for pull-ups, so why wouldn't we go full extension on muscle-ups?

Just saying.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Many people's false grip will slip out when turn out at the bottom. That is why and it's a pain in the *** to do a kipping MU that way.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:59 PM   #5
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Many people's false grip will slip out when turn out at the bottom.
Then they need to strength that movement. I mean, if you've never done it, it's mind-boggling how much more difficult that extra inch is, you know? Same thing with the lock-out at the top - it's more difficult to hold yourself in the proper support than in the top of a typical ring dip. I think, Blair, that most CFers have such cursory knowledge of the rings that they should focus on it in their warm-ups, n'est ce pas?
Old 12-29-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
Mark Markley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. Meador View Post
I think, Blair, that most CFers have such cursory knowledge of the rings that they should focus on it in their warm-ups, n'est ce pas?
+1 this. My ringwork is for crap, and I have poor wrist strength. I've started doing 2-4 sets of false-grip ring pullups to my warmup or cash-out (as well as other wrist/forearm work). It also helps toughen up that square-inch of skin that suffers during muscle-ups.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
most CFers have such cursory knowledge of the rings that they should focus on it in their warm-ups, n'est ce pas?
Quote:
I've started doing 2-4 sets of false-grip ring pullups to my warmup or cash-out
Tread carefully, this isn't constantly varied, blah-blah-blah. There seem to be a thought out process going on. You may die from this.

False grip ring pullups or body rows make a lot of sense. Cashing out with just some false grip hangs should be easily doable no matter what the WOD is though PU may be too much. I dunno about ring supports. After some WOD's my ring support may be nil to the point of any skill work may be a joke.

Adding in some support work pre WOD as skill work is a pretty good idea. Negative MU/lower downs (support to false grip).

Recently, I was contacted about helping a CFer with ring work since they compete in CF (my guess is their MU isn't happening) and I was thinking that some dedicated time on the rings is all they really need besides a bunch of PL. A set of rings and Roger Harrell's CFJ ring article is more than enough. I don't know if they have rings of their own or it's allowed in their gym. I'm gonna go spy today I think.

Some 1st hand work may be useful though, even video review is only so helpful because even with the notes, I don't remember all the cues sometimes.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. Meador View Post
Then they need to strengthen that movement.
lol
Old 12-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I guess I didn't notice. I was around my family for Xmas so too much being around pidgin english to think of proper english. Either that or the fact that our gym is half Eastern blok.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
Jerod Furnice

Profile:

I have a question.

I start at the dead hang on the rings, and then choke up to a false-grip, from which I do the muscle-up. When I lower to full extension, I sometimes lose the false grip and have to choke up again.

As I am beginning and ending the move at the dead-hang, doesn't this still constitute a complete movement, even though I am adjusting grip in the middle sometimes?