CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
Keun Hyung Lee

Profile:
Smile How hard the level2 cert?

Hello, I will take lvl 2 test this coming 31st of October.
I just want to know how many people usually take lvl 2 test N
have a breif idea about the test.
Also, I have read some posts about lvl 2 test N all of them (so far) said that
the test was very challenging N a lot of poeple failed their first test.
I want to know how hard the test is N why it is so hard.

thank you
Old 10-12-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: How hard the level2 cert?

The pass rate is usually between 30-40% from cert to cert, and most people have to try 2 or 3 times before they pass. It's hard because CFHQ requires high standards for Level 2's. It's not just a matter of knowing the movements, but you have to be able to teach them to a group of people of varying skill levels, so your ability to command attention, speak clearly and correctly, and recognize mistakes in movement all comes into play. Make sure you learn all the progressions for movements and how to fix certain faults...i.e. how to fix someone who doesn't come to full extension on the med ball clean before dropping into a squat, or how to fix someone whose knees don't stay out on a squat.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:

Step 1 - Read everything they send you via e-mail.
Step 2 - Watch the fantastic videos they have posted from Level 2 certs over the past couple of years.
Step 3 - Watch Kelly Starrett coaching the deadlift in the Exercises and Demos section, under the title "The Start-Up." Fantastic coaching.
Step 4 - Do your share of 1on1 coaching. If this component is missing, they will know it.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:34 AM   #4
Steve Rakow

Profile:

Make sure you know the nine basic movements and all of the cues cold. If you aren't already training your clients on the nine basic movements, the likelihood that you'll pass is slim.

Good luck!
Old 10-18-2009, 05:32 AM   #5
Eric M Pirrone

Profile:

HI,

Does anyone know if they are going to continue Level 2 Certs?
I have been checking for about 2 months to register and they have not added anything new?

It does show other certs(L2) if you click on reserve your spot, up until Jan 31st.

I did jump on the wait-list for the one at ROgue

If anyone has info, please share.

Thanks, Eric
Old 10-18-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
Douglas Chapman

Profile:

Level II is challenging and so worth it.

You need to make sure you know all the teaching cues and are up to date on the current progressions. CrossFit is a constantly updating and adapting living organism so then you went though your L1, some of the progressions may have changed, and probably did. (They did since the last time I went to one)

Regardless of your years of experience, people you train, the money you make, expect no quarter from the HQ Staff. If you miss a progression or do your own thing, then points will be deducted. Check your ego at the door and make sure you teach what they want taught in the manner they set forth. If you are new to training, be sure you are training your coaching "eye" and see mistakes AND address them relentlessly.

A lot teaching we do in out boxes is centered around expediency. The teaching in a level 2 is about perfection teaching the basic movements.

Commentary/testimonial: I was skeptical about the level II and waited a long time to get into one. I run a successful box and have a degree of success in getting people moving well. I thought "what the hell can I learn from these guys?" The answer is a lot. One of the real HUGE advantages the HQ staff has is that they travel around and pick up bits and pieces from everyone they teach and integrate it into their presentation and knowledge base. So, it is a living and improving training the same as our practices improve in quality based on cumulative experience. Before I went, I decided my goal was to absorb as much information and knowledge and it was a fantastic experience for me.

Another major positive we are being evaluated based on objective criteria. In our own box, we focus on our clients, know their limitations and strengths and tend to conform our training to them. Being evaluated helped me refocus on training.

Net advice: Know all the information and progressions - Come in wanting to learn more than anyone else ever and you will be fine.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric M Pirrone View Post
HI,

Does anyone know if they are going to continue Level 2 Certs?
I have been checking for about 2 months to register and they have not added anything new?

It does show other certs(L2) if you click on reserve your spot, up until Jan 31st.

I did jump on the wait-list for the one at ROgue

If anyone has info, please share.

Thanks, Eric
As I understand it, the L2 Cert will continue. I don't work in Seminars, so that's about all I know. Hope it helps.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

From what Dave told me - they're getting accredited with Level II's and so are making some changes to it to apply with the rules. Once finalized - they'll schedule more.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #9
Erik Preston

Profile:

I would say, go in with the stance that it isn't about a credential, so that it isn't as high stakes. Absorb as much as you can in terms of pointers from the HQ staff on Day One, this is the real meat of the Cert, and if you're too wound up about performing, you just might miss the incredible wealth of expertise that is hovering around you.

Know the progressions cold. They will hold you to them, even if you have alternative methods of reaching the same end.

Be able to "see and correct." Can't stress this one enough. This is the part that can't be gamed, and really is contingent upon multiple reps of seeing human movement.

Coach as many group Elements classes as you can, as opposed to one-on-ones. It gets you primed for giving direction, flowing through a group, seeing multiple lines of action at once, and zoning in what needs to be praised or tweaked.

Don't call bad movement "good." Be relentless on faults.

Be "Big". Be yourself, but just a "bigger version of yourself, if that makes sense."

Book your retest at the same time you sign up for the Level 2. It does wonders to keep you focused on the larger task at hand, which is gaining the feedback from some of CrossFit's finest instructors...
Old 10-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Preston View Post

Book your retest at the same time you sign up for the Level 2.
What is a retest? another test because you failed the first? something else?

I'm sorry but I would just like to know