CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-05-2005, 03:53 PM   #1
Michael Hill

Profile:

I've been thinking about this lately and I'm confused. What hand position do you want ultimately? Currently, I've been using as wide a grip as possible w/ the olympic bar, but I think I rememeber that closer is better, but only to a point? Also, should the bar be directly overhead, in line with the shoulders, or just behind the head? As in everything else, I'm sure it depends on a number of factors. Myself I'm 6' tall and mostly legs.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
Josh Henkin

Profile:  
Michael,
Your grip width should be dictated by your structure and flexibility. Being about 6'4 I go to the edges, a little closer is possible but very uncomfortable. Some of my colleagues and training partners will go much narrower due to the fact they aren't as tall, however you have to play with this a bit.

The bar should be pulled back behind the head. For myself I find it helpful to think of squeezing the shoulder blades and packing my lats. This puts me in a good position which is always behind my head.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:48 AM   #3
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Hey Josh, good to see you on the boards!

Michael, a good rule of thumb for grip is wide enough that you can bail out behind if necessary. :-)

Also check out the latest CrossFit journal for an in-depth treatment of the OHS.

Old 08-07-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:
HI,

At the seminar this weekend, Coach Burgener said overhead squats are done with the bar overhead, not pulled behind the head.

Sometimes we pull the bar behind our head to compensate for our torso being too far forward. Ultimately, your torso in the bottom of the squat should look like it does when standing with good posture. There is a back issue with a squat clinic in it which can help a lot for all types of squats.