CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Dan Walsh

Profile:
Paleo and stomach / intestine discomfort

I am at the end of day 13 eating strict Paleo with a Zone influence to try to make sure I get enough veggies and fruit. I am still experiencing moderate to severe stomach or intestinal discomfort after most meals. I would say it feels like gas pain, but I'm not 100% sure as I haven't been very "burpy" or "gassy" at all. Just the discomfort. It usually begins an hour or so after a meal and lasts for a few hours. I realize that my system is trying to adjust to eating the increased amounts of meats, veggies and fruits (I was already eating a decent amount of nuts), but I wanted to see if this was normal to feel this badly for this long. As of right now, the only reason I'm staying with the Paleo is because of a 30 day pursuit a bunch of the members and trainers are participating in at our box. Also, it appears to not matter what types of meat I eat or if I have just fruit, just veggies or both as the carbs. Any thoughts?
Old 09-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Alicia Michel

Profile:
Re: Paleo and stomach / intestine discomfort

What kinds of foods do you eat and how much do you eat at one go? What did you eat before going Paleo?
Old 09-21-2009, 01:42 AM   #3
Randy Nguyen

Profile:

This exact same thing happened to me. I read up on it and found out it had something to do with the amounts of sucrose I was now eating because the body would now take longer to digest the fruits and they would hang out in the Intestines fermenting.

I would lay on my bed after every meal praying for a single fart to make my stomach feel better. I even resorted to drinking anything carbonated after a meal such as beer or sparkling water to help digest. I was going to look more into it but it suddenly went away.

Another thing to be on the lookout for is the weird phases of diarrhea for a week followed by constipation for another week. After about a month all these odd things just magically disappeared. Just stick it out but if it hurts or lasts longer than a month go talk to your doctor.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:46 AM   #4
Nathan Warren

Profile:

I definitely had some issues as well with some serious bloating and overall discomfort. The fermenting fruit is an interesting explanation of this... Never thought of that. Anyway! Yes, my discomfort went away after about 3 weeks and has come back maybe twice for about 2 or 3 days at the time. IFing at breakfast helped a bit.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
Christy Labrie

Profile:

Ok, I was hoping someone would bring this up.
I just finished week 2 and it is like my belly fills with air right after I eat- however I am not "gassy" (and wouldnt tell if I were )
I think I will try cutting back on the fruit or spacing it out more.
Anyway, glad to hear it goes away.
I have been eating a paleo-ish (80-90%) diet since May and went full paleo on the 7th--I was hoping to avoid any stomach "issues".
Old 09-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:

here's a good read. Eat more veggies less fruit.
http://www.byersgetsdiesel.com/2009/09/go-green.html
Old 09-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Max Lambert

Profile:

I loved broccoli and cabbage but found out cruciferous veggies do that to my stomach.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:56 AM   #8
Dan Walsh

Profile:

Thanks for the replies. Based on the feedback, I'll work toward less fruit, more vegetables and keep hoping that the end of the first couple weeks of feeling poorly ends soon. It's been frustrating to watch all my times worsen since trying to eat "right" and I've been counting down the days until the 30 days is over. Maybe if I start feeling better and improving in the gym I'll actually try to stick with this thing beyond 30 days.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:04 AM   #9
John Harris

Profile:

You may want to try some digestive enzymes for a while until your body adjusts to the new diet.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:33 AM   #10
Thomas Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Nguyen View Post
Another thing to be on the lookout for is the weird phases of diarrhea for a week followed by constipation for another week.
Wow. I'm 2 weeks into this way of eating. Last week saw a good bit of diarrhea. Yesterday and today I'm feeling constipated.

Hope it passes!