CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-22-2004, 11:23 AM   #1
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I was wondering if there was any differences in the starting position for the clean and the snatch. I know about grip differences but I mean is there anything different in angle of the back or where the chest is over the bar or distance of feet?

Also, is there any differences between male and female anatomy that creates differences in positions for a female weightlifter that I might not know about from reading books and looking at photos of male lifters?

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:53 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Because the grip is wider, the snatch start position is lower. Therefore the hips will start lower. Back angle may be similar in the clean and the snatch, but is unlikely to be exactly the same. The key thing to remember is that the back angle must remain constant until the bar passes the knees.

Shoulders should be slightly in front of the bar in both the snatch and clean.

Foot position is still somewhat a matter of individual preference. Many lifters, but not all, use the same stance (distance between feet) for clean, snatch, and squats.

I do not believe there is any significant difference in male/female anatomy that would cause a coach to teach the start position differently for women vs. men.

The biggest difference in coaching men vs. women is that women are smarter about using proper technique and their legs to get the weight over their head. Us dopey men learn that lesson slower and tend to use our arms too much.