CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #11
Justin Shipley

Profile:
Re: "Body pump" classes... a means to an end?

Ditto

I train a few women and the odd guy who does Pump

Those who've done a lot of Pump have a serious obstacle in the way of learning proper form and range of motion when they train with me, and there is a lot of unlearning to do

Those who've trained with me for a while and then go onto a few Pump classes usually are disappointed with the lack of emphasis on form and ROM and quite often drop the classes and get back to something a little more real

I'm careful not to badmouth the Pump classes as every other trainer in the gym including the boss is a Les Mills instructor, so my advice to those asking if it's a good idea is ' if you're looking for a kick-arse workout, Pump will do it, but Pump classes and the businesses of getting stronger and lifting heavier through full ROM are two different things... apples and oranges, so don't expect too many parallels between the two'
Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #12
David Meverden

Profile:

Good replies.

I'm also a big proponent of Starting Strength. The depth it covers the most important lifts with is amazing.

Also posting to give a shout out to the wonderful Digital Coaching Forum. If you don't have good coaches or fellow lifters to help you with form posting videos of yourself can really help. With today's digital cameras (your own or one you borrow from a friend) it's pretty easy.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:41 PM   #13
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Sorry, slow interent connection and percocet. Mods, delete the extra posts if you will
How goes the recovery, Jamie?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:14 AM   #14
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Stephen,

Well, much less pain than I was prepared for, though more gas.

Back to body pump. I remember taking a body pump class given by one of my ex's (I have a habit of dating varsity athletes and very fit women). I did not know as much about form then as I do now, but I could tell way back when I thought the occasional SMith Machine squat was okay that the body pump class was bogus.

FIrst, After doing a leg day (We all did body part splits, so lay off) which had back squats, to parallel, not below, leg press, leg extensions, leg curls and lunges, all done to failure, I went immediately to a body pump class, used more weight than everyone else and got through the whole class.

It was was not that intense, did not teach good form, was not incredibly scaleable and is not something you should do. It's better than some programs (I've actaully had discussions with a Body Pump instructor at my current gym and she agrees it isn't very good), but you can find others that are much better.

Here for instance.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #15
Craig Zielinski

Profile:

Amanda,

I'm a CrossFit Trainer based in Glasgow. You can holler me on craig [at] crossfitglasgow dot com. CFG isn't up and running yet, but we can certainly banter about CF and start you training!

Cheers,

Craig.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #16
Philip Stablein

Profile:

I have two younger sisters who embarked on different workout routines in summer 07. Sister 1 learned to CrossFit from me, then joined a CF affiliate and then got herself certified. Sister 2 attended BodyPump 3-4x a week at her local globo.

Guess which one saw results after a year and is still progressing and having fun? And which one burned out from boredom and lack of progress?

Get SS, watch the vids on the CF site. While BodyPump isn't terrible, its basically a very long barbell complex with bad form and light weight.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #17
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Sorry, slow interent connection and percocet. Mods, delete the extra posts if you will
I was wondering if you passed out with your finger on the send button. I second your description 110%. Horrible horrible form in body pump clases.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #18
Kevin Sinclair

Profile:

I was wondering about bodypump myself since a friend of mine said it was the greatest thing ever so I was glad to see this post and not waist my time! My own gym doesn't have much in the way of free weights so I just use a barbell at home for some Crossfit style workouts. I think what the others have said about Starting Strength or some kind of preparation is very important though because for many people they won't have the required strength to do Crossfit workouts as prescribed.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #19
Rusty S. Mirasol

Profile:

Body pump....I think we are all in agreement with this one. All you have to do is read the brochure, I remember reading something like... "and after THREE months we change the music and the routine..." sounds fun if you can endure 3 months of the same routine just to buckle down for three more months of the same thing over and over and over.

Here's something depressing. The local "globo" that I used to train at is building a studio specifically for body pump. I estimated well over $20,000.00. (not including franchising fees or equipment).
This amount of money would be an amazing crossfit facility.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:07 AM   #20
Amanda Jane

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Zielinski View Post
Amanda,

I'm a CrossFit Trainer based in Glasgow. You can holler me on craig [at] crossfitglasgow dot com. CFG isn't up and running yet, but we can certainly banter about CF and start you training!

Cheers,

Craig.
Hallelujiah!
Lucky Hateball #8
Skate 'till you puke!