CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Christopher Stange

Profile:
still a n00b???

Just wondering what criteria has to be met to move passed the Rookie/n00b/new CFer status mark... I'm sure there is no official milestone just wondering what everyone's thoughts are?
Old 11-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Nic Kirkland

Profile:
Re: still a n00b???

Do the majority of the WOD's as Rx'd while maintaining intensity. That's my opinion. There are a lot of metrics that can go into this though.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

I would think it'd have to do more with how long you've been doing it since everyone starts with different (or non-existent) athletic backgrounds.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

I would think it wouldn't matter at all. Just get in there & go.

- Mark
Old 11-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I would think it wouldn't matter at all. Just get in there & go.

- Mark
+1
Old 11-14-2009, 02:38 AM   #6
Matth Challoner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Kirkland View Post
Do the majority of the WOD's as Rx'd while maintaining intensity. That's my opinion. There are a lot of metrics that can go into this though.
I agree 100%
Old 11-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
Christopher Stange

Profile:

yea, I've been at it for about 5 months now. I go to a local CF Gym 5 days a week, I'm sore 7 days a week. I puke a couple times a month. I've met a few of "the girls" my trainer tends to create his own workouts so we don't stick to the WOD. I still feel like a have a TON to learn as I didn't have any background in this sort of thing. I am at the bottom of my class but making great progress. I am actually doing almost all of the workouts with little modification now. Still can't do a handstand pushup (though it's been a few weeks since we've tried) or a muscle up. All in all I'm dedicated in both mind and body but with only 5 months under my belt I've got a long way to go. It's gonna be one hell of a ride!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Adam Acosta

Profile:

I stopped considering myself a newbie when I was able to do pretty much all of the workouts without scaling. I even got myself on my affiliate's record board for the Filthy Fifty. It took about six months.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
James Rios

Profile:

proficiency in all the lifts. this is key IMO.
doesn't matter how fast your times are if u arent using proper form. not necessarily really heavy, just CORRECTLY.

other than that i echo the as RxD on most WODs.
i say most because there are a few that do require a large amount of just pure strength.
Ex: Linda: 1.5X bw dead is heavy for a lot of people, as is the 1xBW bench. same effect with Lynne because of the BW bench again.

so if u can do most as RxD and are proficient in all the lifts then u are no longer a n00b
Old 11-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rios View Post
proficiency in all the lifts. this is key IMO.
doesn't matter how fast your times are if u arent using proper form. not necessarily really heavy, just CORRECTLY.

other than that i echo the as RxD on most WODs.
i say most because there are a few that do require a large amount of just pure strength.
Ex: Linda: 1.5X bw dead is heavy for a lot of people, as is the 1xBW bench. same effect with Lynne because of the BW bench again.

so if u can do most as RxD and are proficient in all the lifts then u are no longer a n00b
I'd state it as "proficiency in all of the required movements," but that's all. There's more to CF than just the lifts.

I don't support the "as RxD" bit, because I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there who can have the mechanics of the movements down pat but - for one reason or another (perhaps age or some other physical condition) - may not ever get to the "as RxD" point.

But, in the end, I don't think it matters, unless you're the sort of person who plans to have some sort of "I'm not a noob anymore" celebration or print up "CF guru" t-shirts.

Relative to the CF "old timers," I will always be a noob. I'm fine with that. How I progress and how my fitness level changes is far more important to me than some subjective CF experience status.

- Mark