CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-07-2008, 02:49 AM   #1
Russell Eustaquio

Profile:
CF for Tall athletes

Hi everyone, hope you could help me...

I've a friend who's 6'11" and plays basketball for his school... he'd like to get more explosive and agile and of course i suggested he get into Crossfit...are there any special considerations to be taken due to his height?

thanks

Russell
Old 11-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Juli Peterson

Profile:
Re: CF for Tall athletes

Find a coach who can help him with the Olympic lifts and make sure he has a solid strength lifting program. Those are the most important moves an athlete can make to gain strength and explosiveness.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Matthew Stafford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Eustaquio View Post

I've a friend who's 6'11" and plays basketball for his school... he'd like to get more explosive and agile and of course i suggested he get into Crossfit...are there any special considerations to be taken due to his height?

thanks

Russell
There is also an article on T-Nation about tall/short athletes and powerlifting. It discusses the changes that may need to be made to a person's form to account for their body type and height. I can't find it right now, but maybe you'll have more luck.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Jennie Yundt

Profile:

My boyfriend is very tall, he's about 6'6" tall. Granted, your friend has a solid 5" on him, but he still looks like a giant to me!

Tall people have weird issues that you wouldn't expect:

#1 - jump ropes are too short for them
#2 - their feet touch the ground when they're trying to do pull-ups
#3 - MAKE SURE they have enough clearance overhead. Once you're that tall and you start swinging kettlebells, jumping on boxes or push pressing, you're bound to smack into a low hanging light fixture, or maybe even the ceiling.
#4 - they row off the "end" of the rower because their legs stretch back longer than the seat can accommodate
#5 - The "throw" part of the wall ball is crazy easy because they're eye-level with it.
#6 - The GHD will probably not have a setting for them
#7 - When they deadlift they look like a grasshoppers
Old 11-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
James Besenyei

Profile:

Quote:

thanks

Russell
Crossfit should be O.K. during the off season when he's not conditioning with the team or playing in particularly competitive summer leagues. If he's not playing in summer leagues then he needs to start next year. And he needs to continue playing competitively pretty soon after the season ends at school--maybe a month or so of active rest and then it's time to get back at it. With that in mind here is a list I think he might find helpful:

1. Some variation of the O'Lifts. Doesn't have to be all out, maybe hang cleans, DB Power Cleans, DB snatches, etc.
2. Deadlifts and squats.
3. Jump-rope, preferably on the gym floor or another forgiving surface.
4. Sprinting.
5. Box jumps.
6. Lateral slides in the lane.
7. Lots of quick hand drills. Unless he can catch the ball confidently it won't matter what kind of shape he's in.
8. Tips, taps, & raps drills with the ball (look online or ask his basketball coach what they are).
9. Playing a lot of basketball with players who are better than him.
10. Rest, water, protein.

This list should be listed in the opposite direction during the season and the way it is during conditioning.

In addition, and this should go without saying, he has to practice post moves - and lots of them. I know there's been a trend lately for big guys to not want to play with their back to the basket but big guys who have a mid-range jumper and are dominant down low are a precious commodity in college and pro hoops nowadays. There are only so many Dirk Nowitzki's in the world.

(By the way I'm 6'10", played D-1 ball at Colgate University, still play a good amount of street ball, and have been lucky enough to play against and with some very good ball players in my life.)

Last edited by James Besenyei; 11-07-2008 at 01:03 PM..
Old 11-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Eddie Watts

Profile:

i'm 6'4" and hate running on treadmills because i have to use a shorter running stride than i would on open ground.
maybe it's just me though?
Old 11-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
James Besenyei

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Watts View Post
i'm 6'4" and hate running on treadmills because i have to use a shorter running stride than i would on open ground.
maybe it's just me though?
No, me too Eddie. Most treadmills aren't meant for taller individuals.

When I do run I'll hit the trail or go to a local high school track. Probably better anyway, I often imagine people on treadmills as hamsters running on the wheel in their cage.

Although, I'll admit it, if given a chance I would love to run around in a giant plastic ball. I envy the hamster for that alone.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
Russell Eustaquio

Profile:

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated...

James, since you're the closest to my friend height wise, how do fuel the body of a big man... again, my friend is 6'11" and about 240-250 pounds...

thanks,

Russell
Old 11-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #9
James Besenyei

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for all your help, much appreciated...

James, since you're the closest to my friend height wise, how do fuel the body of a big man... again, my friend is 6'11" and about 240-250 pounds...

thanks,

Russell
Well his needs will be quite different than mine. I'm 33 years old and weigh 316 pounds! I am very large framed and after I was finished growing my lightest weight was 275 or so.

With that said, I think that at this stage he should be wolfing down lots of high quality proteins and enough good carbs to prevent him from gassing while playing or conditioning. High quality proteins = fish, lean cuts of beef, chicken, some dairy. Good carbs = lots, tons, enormous amounts of fruits & veggies and minimal grains. A 1/2 hour or so before you all work out or play scarf down a banana and drink plenty of water. And don't be afraid to cut up some orange slices and have them on hand for long days. I'm not a big fan of sports drinks and think you can get most of the benefit from water and periodic snacking if the day is filled with games or conditioning and then street ball/drills/etc. Of course, a gatorade here and there aint gonna kill anyone either!

All in all I would say zone, paleo, or a combination of the two would work fine for him. Hell, he's a young guy and as long as he's eating pretty good most of the time he'll be just fine. If he wants to put on some weight you can't go wrong with the book Super Squats or any of Rip's ideas about weight gain. Moreover, if you want the best info about nutrition visit Performance Menu, here's the WFS link: http://www.performancemenu.com/pm/index.php.

Hope this rant helped.

Last edited by James Besenyei; 11-09-2008 at 10:32 PM..
Old 11-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
Russell Eustaquio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Besenyei View Post
Well his needs will be quite different than mine. I'm 33 years old and weigh 316 pounds! I am very large framed and after I was finished growing my lightest weight was 275 or so.

With that said, I think that at this stage he should be wolfing down lots of high quality proteins and enough good carbs to prevent him from gassing while playing or conditioning. High quality proteins = fish, lean cuts of beef, chicken, some dairy. Good carbs = lots, tons, enormous amounts of fruits & veggies and minimal grains. A 1/2 hour or so before you all work out or play scarf down a banana and drink plenty of water. And don't be afraid to cut up some orange slices and have them on hand for long days. I'm not a big fan of sports drinks and think you can get most of the benefit from water and periodic snacking if the day is filled with games or conditioning and then street ball/drills/etc. Of course, a gatorade here and there aint gonna kill anyone either!

All in all I would say zone, paleo, or a combination of the two would work fine for him. Hell, he's a young guy and as long as he's eating pretty good most of the time he'll be just fine. If he wants to put on some weight you can't go wrong with the book Super Squats or any of Rip's ideas about weight gain. Moreover, if you want the best info about nutrition visit Performance Menu, here's the WFS link: http://www.performancemenu.com/pm/index.php.

Hope this rant helped.
Thank you very much James