CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
Peter M Weiss

Profile:
Paleo newbie with stomach flu symptoms?

So I'm tired of salad, I've been on it religiously for the past 5 days until Friday night, and someone made me a big pot of vegetable soup nothing but pepper, and veggies and water, or so I thought.

With out me knowing it, I ate a big bowl, and it was made with chicken broth.

I was violently ill for the next twelve hours. All the body functions of having a severe flu bug. Muscle cramps, fatigue, sweating, bodily fluids being expeled in violent reactions, heart burn, the works.

Is this a typical reaction when you go off paleo even for one meal?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Paleo newbie with stomach flu symptoms?

Um, you realize Paleo includes meat and fish? Chicken is fine, it's the high amount of sodium in the soup that may have caused the effects you listed. No, this is not what happens when you go off paleo for a meal, only when you eat certain foods that your body can't handle (or too much food for that matter). I'm at college and due to certain meal restrictions and such, I eat sandwiches every other day or so. I feel like crap a little, but nothing like what you described. After being Paleo for awhile, I can pretty much nail down any food that causes my body discomfort. This lifestyle is one big learning process about what your body can and can't handle, enjoy it.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #3
Peter M Weiss

Profile:

Yeah, I ate the recommended level of protein and fat with it. It wasn't just veggie soup.

That's just what caused me to get so sick I think.

Thanks for the response.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

Food poisoning? That isn't a Paleo reaction. You said someone made it for you, did that someone ensure to wash their hands before preparation? Sorry to go into disgusting mode, but I wipe a baby's butt all day long now, and I keep my hands clean.

Remember - there are more bacteria in your mouth at any one time than people who have ever lived, and one of the WORST contributors to health issues is the keyboard you are typing on. Its filthy.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Chicken broth? Commercial or homemade? Could be a reaction to additives if it's packet soup stock, but if you've got food poisoning then thats from a bug thats survived the journey through the acids of your stomach and got into your intestines where it's proliferating at the expense of the bugs that should be there.
And if that bug came from a pot of boiling soup, i'll eat my hat.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Shipley View Post
Chicken broth? Commercial or homemade? Could be a reaction to additives if it's packet soup stock, but if you've got food poisoning then thats from a bug thats survived the journey through the acids of your stomach and got into your intestines where it's proliferating at the expense of the bugs that should be there.
And if that bug came from a pot of boiling soup, i'll eat my hat.
No mention came from him about boiling, at what times the ingredients were put in, and what was eaten with it as far as how cooked it was.

Quote:
Yeah, I ate the recommended level of protein and fat with it. It wasn't just veggie soup.
I've had food poisoning more than once from food I thought was cooked correctly.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
Peter M Weiss

Profile:

I'll ask the crossfit affiliate when I go in on monday, she's the one who put me on the diet.

It was a commercially availble broth. Not home made. Granted this is probably the healthiest I've eaten in the past several years, so I think that might contribute to it.

I'm fairly certain it wasn't food poisoning because once I was able to eat again, the symptoms gradually dissipated and my health improved after each meal.

I just wanted to find out if it was normal, and it's not. So now I've got to find out why my body reacted so strongly, I'm tempted to eat something from my usual diet before this just to see if my body reacts the same way.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
Liam Dougherty Springer

Profile:

Some people have a similar reaction to the one you just described after injesting food additives including MSG, Nitrates, and sufites. It can be fairly immediate and will usually dissipate in a matter of 1- a few hours.