CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
Jeff Hendrix

Profile:
Is it too soon for WODs?

I'm sure an answer could go either way on this, but I wonder what some of the more seasoned opinions are around these parts.

I'm 6'1" and 185-190 pound (I perceive myself to be a twig). I topped out at 195 after about 6 weeks of pure SS (from 175-ish) and am trying to lose the remaining fat around my midline that I accumulated through the process (my pants are getting tight and I don't have enough money to buy a new wardrobe). At any rate, I'm a little worried that my strength is not at a decent enough level to start the WODs just yet. My 5x lifts for SS are approximately:

Squat - 155-175 (depending on stance width, which I'm still trying to figure out--see "exercises" page)
Deadlift - 185
Bench Press - 130 (with dumbells. . .I get nervous under the bar by myself with that much weight)
Power Clean - 115
Press - 85

I can do 10-12 pullups and 25-30 pushups at one time (these numbers were significantly better a few years ago when I weighed 150!) as well. I was a decent long distance runner in a previous life (see remark about weighing 150), and my lifts tend to show that pretty well I think.

Should I work on getting my lifts a little heavier still, or do you think the WODs will eventually take care of these issues? Or maybe doing a hybrid program would be best? What think ye ladies and gents?
Old 08-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: Is it too soon for WODs?

dude, with numbers like that, you have no reason not to jump into the WOD's! You'll need to scale some workouts, maybe even most or all for awhile yet, but you can definately be doing them.

If your current desire is to lose the fat you gained during SS, then you definately need to be getting on the WOD's now. You should continue to get stronger (my lift numbers were mostly yours going in, at BW 135, and I still got stronger doing WODs only), you'll just get stronger at a slower rate than during SS.

You can always go back to SS again once you've dropped the fat, if you're still feeling like you want more strength.

Side note on bench press... if you've got access to a squat cage, do your bench there. that way the cage can spot you. Only disadvantage is you might only be able to lower the bar to an inch or two above your chest instead of touching... to me it's worth it.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Jared's right that you will be able to continue to get gains just doing the WOD, but I think with where you are now you should be able to continue with the linear gains with SS for quite a while to come. If you didn't have the wardrobe issue I'd say to stick with SS, but you will definitely outgrow what you're wearing now if you're already pushing the limit. The WOD's, on the other hand, will continue to build strength while leaning you out (assuming correct diet). As always, it all depends on what your goals are.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Kevin Griffin

Profile:

what is SS?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
Jeff Bowser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Griffin View Post
what is SS?
SS = Starting Strength

Lot's of info on this board about it, just search and you'll find lots!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #6
Derek Franks

Profile:

You did Starting Strength for 6 weeks and those are your numbers? Why are you stopping? Your lifts aren't even at the "novice" level as defined by Rippetoe.