CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-11-2007, 06:49 AM   #1
Shane Morris

Profile:
What is the difference between the "CF cert" class and the "Basic barbell Cert" class? I am attending a CF cert class in sept. Depending on the differences, I'm looking into taking both but was wondering if the BB cert will overlap the CF cert class. Where would the $ be better spent? Thanks for the help.
Shane
Old 08-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Shane,

I haven't taken the barbell cert, but it appears to be entirely based on the (mostly) slow lifts in Rippetoe's book Starting Strength (deads, back squats, shoulder and bench press, and power clean).

I'd recommend taking the CF Cert first. There will be some overlap, although obviously you won't get near as much focus on the aforementioned lifts. You will, however, learn proper mechanics for these lifts in the CF Cert, as well as a much broader overview of the CF methodology, exercises, etc.

I was fortunate that Mark Rippetoe was at my Cert and held an extra workshop on the Dead-lift and Back Squat, and I look forward to attending a Barbell Cert in the future.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Shane;
Scott nailed it, but consider computing your yearly earnings, then devote 5-10 for training. Go to any and all Certs/workshops posted on CF, so we're talking Coach G, Rip and Coach B. Also consider some of the Certs from the guys at Performance menu, finally keep your eyes open for KB guys, Dan John, etc etc.
I plan to attend and re attend as many of the above listed workshops as possible. Just meeting and hanging with my peers and awesome talent is worth the price!
Just my usual banter, sorry for the lecture.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
Shane Morris

Profile:
Thanks guys for the response. I think the focus might be good. One of my concerns about the CF cert. is that there will be so much info packed into two days, that I might not understand the proper way to perform the lift. Not saying the proper way wouldnt be taught! Just that I'm remedial and might not get it. :doh: