CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
Ando Mikkel

Profile:
I just started Crossfit 3 days ago, and I can barely walk or move my body as it is so sore. Should I take a day break and resume or is there something else I should do, like train through it?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
What did you do yesterday? I presume you've read the articles on the main page about Rhabdo, and took appropriate measure to avoid that. Most likely though, it's DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). I've had it for up to two weeks when I did a particular workout (not CF) for the first time.

As long as it's not Rhabdo (and if it is, I don't know what you do), you want to keep moving, keep the blood getting to the muscles, and use them (although don't overdo it, I'm talking like if you can do walking lunges for 100 yards before you wear out and can't do anymore, then do like 10 yards and rest). Ideally you'd walk a lot, or light cycling, etc. This is all if you're in "recovery" mode.

If you feel you're able to move forward with a workout (don't hurt yourself), then take it easy. Since you started 3 days ago, I'm sure you've done the recommended scaling the WOD back a bunch, like 50% or less weight, doing a 3-part "as many rounds" workout for 10 minutes instead of the prescribed 20, etc...
Old 08-17-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Hi, Ando, welcome!

Being sore (even real sore) is pretty typical if you've started doing something hard that you've not done before. Matt's advice about scaling the workouts as you start up (first few weeks or more, depending on your conditioning), and his advice about the soreness (generally, keep moving lightly on your day off) are both excellent.

The one exception to that is if you do have "rhabdo" (or, more accurately, rhabdomyolysis). This is a severe breakdown of the muscle tissue that is so extreme that it actually overwhelms the kidneys' ability to clean the blood, and it puts you in a whole world of pain and trouble.

It usually occurs as a result of massive traumatic tissue damage (think of car crashes with multiple crushing injuries) or strange muscle-wasting diseases. But it *can* happen as a result of extreme exertion, particularly if you are already in pretty good or very good muscular shape. There have been two or three documented cases of people taking up CrossFit with such great enthusiasm (usually guys who are in pretty good shape already) and going so hard at the workouts that they induced rhabdo in themselves.

I doubt that this is what has happened to you, partly because you say it's been three days (the worst cases will knock you flat on your back within 24 hours). But it is remotely possible that you have actually given yourself a mild case of it.

If you have any kind of noticeable pain around the kidneys (sides and back below your rib cage) OR if your urine is dark or discolored in any way, go to an ER.

Immediately. NOW.

Seriously, those two symptoms should *always* send you to your doctor or an ER, as soon as possible. They are potentially serious.

If you don't have those symptoms (kidney pain or discolored urine), and your whole body is just "good sore", then I'd say drink lots of water (a gallon / day is not too much) and take the day off (but move lightly, stretch, maybe do the warmup but no more).

Old 08-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Zach Wright

Profile:
The number one thing that always helps me with soreness is stretching. Sometimes it hurts to stretch, but if you take it slow its doable. Most importantly it always helps me recover faster. Hope this helps!
Old 08-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
Kelly Zito

Profile:
Re: Noob needs advice

After 3 months of Crossfit, between 4 and 6 days per week (4 days WOD and 2 days strength training focus), when Ryan asks me how I am feeling from the last workout, I say, "Well, my shoulders are sore... but they're always sore."

But they're always sore in slightly different ways than the day before.

However, there are days where I am more sore than I would expect, and I will take a day off that I hadn't planned to if needed, just for the extra rest. And other times, I will deliberately go lower on the weight or on intensity if I am feeling sore. I still get a great workout, no matter what!

Your body will tell you what you need/can do. If you think you're too sore to workout, take another day's rest. If you think you can go through something scaled back, do that. Really, your body will tell you.