CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-15-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
Geoff Popadiuk

Profile:  
Hi all,

So I was introduced to Crossfit two months ago and really like it for the most part. Before I had been lifting using AST's Max-OT program but feel like I am more "fit" when working out crossfit style. My one complaint is that I seem to have lost some muscle mass (4 lbs or so) by abandoning the Max-OT style. Do any of you have suggestions on how I could still continue to add muscle mass through the crossfit workouts? Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
I'm with you there Geoff. I've been doing CF for a month and a half now and have also lost a bit of muscle. In fact, i just ranted about it in my workout journal yesterday. I'm not sure how to remedy the problem yet, but Anthony B. and others have incorporated 5x5 with good success. I'm just now realizing that CF is a template and can be used in many ways to achieve cetain goals, just not sure how to do it yet. Hopefully someone will chime in with some good suggestions.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I think one answer is that you won't necessarily gain more mass but the muscles you do have will be stronger and more useable. Carrying lots of useless mass will only slow you down doing CrossFit. So if you are pretty big, you'll shed some weight and slowly add weight from there as you start CrossFitting regularly.

Also you must consider the Zone Diet. That's a whole other thread.

Finally, if you insist on just getting big, then you might decide to do 2 days of CrossFit and 1 day of Max OT or some heavy lifting protocol.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #4
John Seaburg

Profile:
At the clinic/gym I work for we're thinking about devoting the first week of every month to mass building. Our normal program includes Tabata intervals, 2K rows, skill building, stuff that's similar to CF workouts. The mass building week idea sounds good to me but what does that mean in terms of exercise selection? Does that mean high volume body builder style workouts? Or sticking to the basic muliti joint strength moves like squats, deads, and chins? My best guess is a little of both with less emphasis on Tabata intervals and 2K rows.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Dan Colson

Profile:
This will sound nuts but bear with me. I have noticed that if you go against the grain of conventional wisdom you will succeed. Having said that I can say that one year on CrossFit only I have reduced my bodyweight by 31 pounds, and the kicker is that my lean mass has increased 4 pounds in that same time (and I'm a very hard gainer) I attribute that to the reintroduction of the functional nature of the CrossFit workouts, especially the O lifts. I simply have added a few extra workouts each month concentrating on Olifting. The secret is in the neuroendocrine response to the lifts. They will increase lean mass and make you a better Cf'er/Athlete.
And of course I also have to acknowledge the Zone diet, and even more so the Paleo approach, Rob Wolfs Performance menu is a great resource. As a matter of fact intermittent fasting (definitely against the grain of conventional wisdom) has played an important role. I've been playing around with it and just noticed this months edition reporting one of their athletes experienced an 8 lb increase in lean mass. It's worth checking it out.
That being said keep the diet pure and add heavy lift days, monitor your lean mass through bodyfat tests, and if you don't see an increase check the diet, if it's good add some good fats and add a couple more Oly days.
Just as too much CVR endurance will make you less of an athlete trying to combine forms of bodybuilding will as well, I see it all the time in certain clients that still pump iron at Bally's on off days. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:03 AM   #6
Mark Garcia

Profile:
You can do CF 2x/wk and then do a 5x5 2x/wk
Old 05-17-2006, 04:15 AM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
The answer is very simple. So simple that we ignore it. Are you ready? Here it is ....

Eat more.

:biggrin:
Old 05-17-2006, 04:52 AM   #8
Aidan O Brien

Profile:
It's funny because whenever some posts this Anthony always posts to eat more, and i swiftly follow to agree with him!!!

You got to get your food in, since starting CF four months ago i lost 14 bad pounds, gained 3 good ones, added half an inch to arms i'm not even training and up my calories by about 500 a day to support it all.

It's pretty basic really!!! :biggrin:
Old 05-17-2006, 04:54 AM   #9
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Anthony is right. I've been gaining around a pound a week for the last month since jacking up my food intake. Mirror tells me it is more muscle than fat.

Successful surgery, Anthony?
Old 05-17-2006, 05:34 AM   #10
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Chris, surgery went well and recovery has been good so far. No pain, although there's some stiffness and tightness in the area. Thanks for asking. :-)