CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
Erik Stone

Profile:
Help with platform...

Do you have to use multiple layers of plywood when building a platform? I was thinking of screwing/gluing a sheet of 3/4" x 4' x 8' piece of plywood to the concrete floor of my garage and put down a piece of 2'x8' rubber matting on either side. I was then going to put my half rack right in the middle toward the back of the platform. My second idea was to lay down two 4' x 6' rubber mats right next to each other and put a sheet of plywood down the middle, which would give me a platform 6' wide x 8' deep with 2 feet of rubber matting on each side of the plywood. Is either one of my ideas better than the other, no difference or do I need to use multiple layers of plywood?
Old 04-13-2008, 04:40 AM   #2
Chad Skola

Profile:
Re: Help with platform...

The second idea kind of wastes some pricy rubber doesn't it? I was going to do your first idea and had just planned on using 1 sheet of plywood. I am not sure if this is the way so do not take this as my opinion. I am totally uneducated in this subject..for now anyway. So hopefully someone else will chime in.
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stone View Post
Do you have to use multiple layers of plywood when building a platform? I was thinking of screwing/gluing a sheet of 3/4" x 4' x 8' piece of plywood to the concrete floor of my garage and put down a piece of 2'x8' rubber matting on either side. I was then going to put my half rack right in the middle toward the back of the platform. My second idea was to lay down two 4' x 6' rubber mats right next to each other and put a sheet of plywood down the middle, which would give me a platform 6' wide x 8' deep with 2 feet of rubber matting on each side of the plywood. Is either one of my ideas better than the other, no difference or do I need to use multiple layers of plywood?
I'm toying with something similar to your second idea. I have 3/8" rubber flooring in my garage. Im thinking two layers: a layer of 3/4" plywood on the bottom and like you said two sheets of my 4' x 6' x 3/8" rubber on top of that with a sheet of 3/8" plywood down the center. The plywood will protrude 2 feet in the middle and that will fit perfect between the legs of my half rack.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Eric,

(repost from http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=13100, similar discussion, adjusted to current experience level :-) ... ):

for me, using bumpers plus one layer of 18mm plywood with several layers of old carpets nailed to it does the trick (but the nails tend to come out again over time - I now have wrapped the whole thing with duct tape). I have made two boards sized 80x120cm that I can drop on the floor to work out between them. I have "tested" this with real drops up to 130kg from hip height (missed back squat, could not get out of the hole), and up to 85kg from overhead height, and it works very well (for about 2 years now). I regulary drop 75+kg snatches (mostly fails, grrr, I am stuck at 77.5kg max).

Compared to a real platform, you may have to take some more care with dropping things (make sure you hit the platform), and you may not want to drop 60kg of iron (I have dropped 45kg of iron, no problem, and a 24kg dumbbell from shoulder height, small dent), but you may also find out that you don't need to drop things so often (read http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/19884.html for more info on this).

A good tip if you do not want to or must not drop max lifts is to take them down to front rack position (for C&J) or to the neck (for S), and then put the bar on your squat rack (two 500kg certified sawhorse-like stands from the hardware store).

I'll see how my method stands up to more abuse when I get there (in terms of more weight). In fact, I found this the most important factor for my equipment: I don't need equipment to handle much more than what I can lift. When I get there and have problems, I can handle them then.

Ah, and one more important thing to mention: make sure you have something in place for stopping a dropped bar rolling off the platform. I did not. (Sound of 130kg rolling down my back, dropping on platform, and crashing into the heating mounted on the wall behind me. I was lucky. No water coming out.). These days, I put some sandbags in the way.

Cheers,

Christian