CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
David Fuhrer

Profile:
How does the body "add weight" after a caloric surplus?

Hi :-)

OK....let's say someone eats 3,500 surplus carb and fat calories in one day (meaning their total caloric intake that day exceeded their caloric burn that day by exactly 3,500 calories, and the entire surplus was carbs and fat). Theoretically, that means they have consumed exactly "one pound" worth of surplus calories.

My questions.....
  1. Is it likely that since none of the surplus was protein, little to none of the "new weight" the body produces would be muscle?
  2. How and over what time frame does that extra pound "show up" on the body? Is there some formula that estimates that it takes "x" days for the body to convert the calories to fat?
  3. Just because a body consumed 3,500 surplus calories, does that necessarily mean the body will put on exactly one pound of new weight?

Just wonderin' about it all.....thank you for your help!

CHEERS!

David
Old 03-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Re: How does the body "add weight" after a caloric surplus?

There are others who can answer this question better than I can, but I'll take a shot at a few of your questions:
1) Just because it wasn't protein doesn't necessarily mean that the weight added won't be muscle. Muscle can be slow to build, but if there are excess carbs and fat, then theoretically they could have a protein sparing effect, allowing the protein to be used to regeneration and building of muscle fibers rather than energy. Fat storage can and will still occur though. Whether or not your muscles are in a near completely glycogen depleted state can also affect how much of the food is shuttled to fat stores.

Insulin sensitivity, the type of fat etc. can all play a role in how this goes down.

2) I think that the time frame for how long it takes for the weight to "show" may be different for everyone. Transit time through the digestive system would be a big one. How much of it is converted to waste, how long it takes to go from the stomach through the bowels etc. Not all the food we eat actually gets stored or used, and some (especially protein) will cause a thermogenic effect during digestion. Eating and digesting calories takes energy.

3) See above.

I'm pretty sure that's it.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
David Fuhrer

Profile:
Re: How does the body "add weight" after a caloric surplus?

Thank you for the input, Derek! You covered a lot of ground. I especially like the protein sparing angle.

CHEERS!

David