CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
Stephen J. Haessler

Profile:
Brand New Old Guy

Greetings CrossFit.

Our Navy SEAL son got my wife and I interested in CrossFit training. She has done yoga for years, and I am a sandan in shotokan (AAKF) karate. We both got way out of shape after two years of sloth, TV, salty snacks, and a major move from Milwaukee to Tucson. CrossFit exercises are very, very challenging for us, but really attractive too. I liked reading the point that exercises for warriors and for soccer moms are not different in kind, only degree. Cool.

I'm 57 and she's, well, ask her. Am I one of the oldest in CrossFit?

I'm interested in the science behind the principles. Can someone point me to some studies? I see the results on the videos, but am curious what the sources and influences are. As a novice, I see Soviet era weight training ideas, gymnastics, and holistic physiology, as in the avoidance of bicep curls because they are too limiting and exclude most joints and muscle groups.

We are starting near the bottom. I could do about 6 or 7 pullups two years ago, but now none. But I'm determined. Somehow, I'll get back to where I was and hopefully press beyond. Watching our son do pullups endlessly was inspiring. From years of karate training, I can do lots of those air squats, which are fun.

My ultimate goal is to get back to shotokan. Karate training assumes the practitioner is fit already, it is not an exercise program.

Anyway, I'm really glad CrossFit exists. It is a tribute to the human spirit to be better, to do more, to get others involved in health and life, and in my case, to be able to do a pullup by the end of January 2008!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Sean McMaster

Profile:
Re: Brand New Old Guy

Great post, Stephen. You obviously have the right attitude - I hope the fitness principles here will be as big a benefit to you as they have already been to me in just a few short months. If you subscribe to the Crossfit journal, you will often get more detail about the science behind the results. Or you could even attend a certification. This forum has been my primary resource, though. There is so much good stuff here. Make liberal use of the search function and the FAQ, but always feel free to ask questions. Welcome!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Welcome to crossfit, to you and your wife. I agree; you have the right attitude for this. Follow the threads and the FAQ's and scale the workouts for the ramp up. I've been at it 6 weeks. I'm also 52. It's worth it!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Steven Rogers

Profile:

Welcome aboard, Stephen. I just turned 57 last week and have been doing CrossFit routines for a couple of months. There's an old guy's thread in this forum with posts from folks in their sixties. I believe there are some who are even older doing CrossFit, though they may not be active on this site.

Pull-ups are a weakness of mine as well (CrossFit excels at highlighting those), but I'm improving steadily. It's best to be conservative in the begining and scale our workouts. It's very common to see one in print and think that it doesn't look too bad, and find that it's much worse than it looks. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
John Edmondson

Profile:

Welcome to the family Stephan and best of luck. For some scientific info click on "What is Crossfit?" and download the PDFs "Fundamentals" and "What is Fitness?" located on the right side of the page. That'll get you started. Hope this helps.
Best, John
Old 01-09-2008, 04:29 AM   #6
Annlee Hines

Profile:

Welcome! Here's a thread from a few days ago (started earlier and grew for a while) - WFS:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=25182

(Note that we always designate whether a link we provide is Work - Family Safe)

FWIW, I just turned 56 (one of those "deductible" babies ). I'm in better shape than in my entire life - more lean muscle, still some flab overlying part of it, but the skin's looser so I know it's not as dense. I'm still working on that first pullup - upper body strength is always the problem for women in the beginning. But I'll get there, no matter how long it takes.

If you or your wife have questions you can't find answers to in the FAQ or through the Search function here, post a question - lots of us here have already run into things you might face. No need to reinvent the wheel - unless you enjoy that. :stir:

Annlee
Old 01-09-2008, 05:27 AM   #7
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

I'm 52 years old, and a late-onset athlete. Four years ago, I weighed 230 pounds (or more) and couldn't walk a half-mile. Thanks to Crossfit, I am doing things I probably couldn't have done when I was 30!

Just don't let your enthusiasm get the better of your common sense. Coach says, "It's a long slow on-ramp to intensity." Get some coaching for your lifting, if you can. Concentrate on developing consistent, perfect form---it's critical to prevent injury. Lift light at first, but lift perfectly. Ramp up slowly.

You are right to believe you can do it.....barring injury, Crossfit's a f fountain of youth.

Susie
Old 01-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
Stephen J. Haessler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Rogers View Post
Welcome aboard, Stephen. I just turned 57 last week and have been doing CrossFit routines for a couple of months. There's an old guy's thread in this forum with posts from folks in their sixties. I believe there are some who are even older doing CrossFit, though they may not be active on this site.

Pull-ups are a weakness of mine as well (CrossFit excels at highlighting those), but I'm improving steadily. It's best to be conservative in the begining and scale our workouts. It's very common to see one in print and think that it doesn't look too bad, and find that it's much worse than it looks. Good luck.
Thanks! I'm thinking of doing a modified version of the Michael WOD. Do you think it is better to do all 50 of the back extensions and situps but to do so slowly, or cut back on the numbers and go quickly? I just don't want to tear something this early into it. But thanks again for your reply. Great group of people in this.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
Franklin Shogie

Profile:

you may want to scale it per BrandX

wfs link: http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewtopic.php?t=3767

welcome and good luck!