CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #31
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Questions

1. Try to find a different gym if you can't do deadlifts and heavy lifting like that. It's not a good gym if it doesn't allow that. Either that or talk with the management.

2. Start with unweighted variations. Unweighted squats.. then add a little weight maybe the bar. Have someone who knows form (your dad?) to critique. If you don't know anyone then get vids and post them up in the coaching section on the forum.

3. Yes, sub for workouts if you don't have the equipment. Try to do something similar or at least things you need to work on with strength or technique.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:33 PM   #32
Jacob McBride

Profile:

different gym isn't really an option. There are none around, the YMCA is pretty cheap, and I have school starting up again soon = very low cash flow. How much would it cost to get the basic stuff for the Olympic Lifts (bar, weights to put on the bar, etc...)? I might just save my *** off until I can buy one of those and then my dad can get the rest of the equipment in the spring. I REALLY don't like when a WOD comes up that I don't even have the equipment for, let alone the experience and know-how to complete, so whatever I can do to rectify this situation so I can REALLY start on CrossFit is what I want to do.

The bar and the weights ARE the most important/most commonly used/most versatile equipment, right?
Old 01-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #33
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob McBride View Post
different gym isn't really an option. There are none around, the YMCA is pretty cheap, and I have school starting up again soon = very low cash flow. How much would it cost to get the basic stuff for the Olympic Lifts (bar, weights to put on the bar, etc...)? I might just save my *** off until I can buy one of those and then my dad can get the rest of the equipment in the spring. I REALLY don't like when a WOD comes up that I don't even have the equipment for, let alone the experience and know-how to complete, so whatever I can do to rectify this situation so I can REALLY start on CrossFit is what I want to do.
It costs a couple hundred dollars for an Olympic weight set, but it's worth it if you're in it for the long run. Look on craigslist for some used ones - you may find some good deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob McBride View Post
The bar and the weights ARE the most important/most commonly used/most versatile equipment, right?
That and a pullup bar, I guess. Rings, kettlebells, dumbbells, plyo boxes, and jump ropes come up from time to time as well.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #34
Phil Oh

Profile:

Hi Jason,

I'm a former quarter miler and hurdler who ran in high school and for a year in college. I was the lone soccer player running track with a bunch of football players.

5 seconds is a LOT of time to shave off a 400. I improved about 6 seconds in 4 YEARS during high school over 400m.

Dropping from 53 to 49 seconds over a quarter mile in that short of a short period is...well, ambitious.

BUT...I never did CrossFit, or any real strength training for that matter, in high school. I certainly HOPE that you improve significantly.

In my experience, the power lifts (squat, clean, and snatch) helped me the most. Because the 400m requires stamina as much a power and speed, leg strength is critical.

The bulk of our strength training in college focused on building leg strength. Some of our plyo workouts included a lot of bleacher work (running up, one legged, every other bleacher, buddy carries).

As a sprinter, I'd say build as much leg strength as possible without overworking them.

Crossfit will keep your workouts balanced, but don't focus on the upper body aspects too much. You're running with your legs, not your arms.

As you progress though the WOD's, you'll get stronger. There's no substitute for hard work and the time you put in.

I wish there was crossfit around when I was in high school.

3-2-1-GO!
Old 01-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #35
Jacob McBride

Profile:

you do realize that arms are a big part of sprinting, right? And you do realize that I barely have arms, right? I fully understand how much 5 seconds is in a 400. 5 seconds would be what I need to beat the current top runners in the 400 at my school, 4 seconds to tie them, and probably 3 seconds to run on the team. Thing is, I don't think I've ever been in shape for sprinting... at all... ever, and I've never done any kind of strength or power training... at all... ever, so I'm confident that, while someone who's worked at the 400 for a while stops making significant progress, 5 seconds IS achievable for me. Will it be easy? no, but it SHOULD be achievable if I stick with CrossFit, do some running, etc...
I just don't know what workouts I should do to build strength and power in my legs (since, obviously, legs are far more imoportant for running). Running isn't the only thing I can be doing. The varieties of ways to use bleachers is a great idea for me to toy with, though. Thanks.

Any other leg workouts that I can do frequently to build strength and power in my legs for running?