CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

View Poll Results: Which MetCon should we do for Day 4?
Elizabeth 5 29.41%
Helen 6 35.29%
Linda (probably modified) 2 11.76%
Other 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2007, 07:41 AM   #1
Alex Europa

Profile:
Cool Need help choosing Contest event

So at work, there is an ongoing friendly argument about the merits of CrossFit. I've finally managed to convince them to do a competition: "The CrossFit P*$$ies" (their nice name for us) vs. "The Other Guys" (aka bodybuilders). It will basically be broken down like this:

Day 1: MetCon (probably Fran)
Day 2: Powerlifting Comp (Squat, Bench, Deadlift)
Day 3: 1.5 mile Run (Navy physical test distance)
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: MetCon (TBD - Maybe Elizabeth. Inputs welcome! Preferably something "heavier")
Day 6: Heavy Lifting (Lifts TBD by "The Other Guys")
Day 7: "Real Life" Fitness Test

Day 7 is the event I really need help with. The CrossFit "standard" is shoveling gravel, but I don't think I'll be able to convince them to do this. So I need something "better!"

The competition will be set up with 5 members per team, and each event will be scored individually. I'm not sure if we're going to just count the Top 5 spots per event (i.e.: 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 points, respectively) or if we'll count everybody for each event (i.e.: 20, 18, 16, 14, etc...).

I'm very confident that we're going to run away with this...Our strongest guy (but slowest runner) is a former powerlifter and is still uber-strong; he'll most likely out-lift their strongest guy. The rest of their team isn't nearly as strong, so we should be able to hold our own in the PL Comp (especially when lifting "by the book," i.e.: past parallel squats, no bounce on the bench). And needless to say, they won't be able to hang on the MetCons or the run. The advantage is in our court because I know how strong they all are, but they don't realize that we can lift heavy too...and can still run.

The wild cards are the 2nd Heavy Lifting day and the "Real Life" event...but I'm pretty sure we'll have a comfy lead by the last day.

So, please - any and all suggestions are welcome. Event suggestions, rules, scoring, whatever...This is big time stuff since everyone we work with has to listen to us bicker daily. MAJOR BRAGGING RIGHTS!

Alex
Old 12-18-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Re: Need help choosing Contest event

I'd do Fight Gone Bad for the first met-con, and a heavy Fran for the second. Maybe even a truly heavy Fran, with #25 weighted pullups.

As for the real world fitness thing, if you were up here I'd suggest snow shoveling or stacking a cord of firewood ... but not much call for that in Florida.

How about shoveling sand into, say, 30 empty sacks, and stacking them 3 or 4 high as part of a flood prevention wall? Or even just filling sandbags and loading them into a pickup truck?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
Aaron Trent

Profile:

How about a keg loading contest. You could go in pairs of 2 with the last guy going alone for time or it could be a singles event.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
James R. Climer

Profile:

I voted for "other" being Diane for the 5th day Metcon (get some gymnastics in there), but Angie would be interesting too.

The real life thing should be something that's as head to head as possible for the two groups,
maybe obstacle course, or even something new to everyone, like if no one is a firefighter on either team, do a firefighting type competition. Or pull a car a given distance and then push it back for the next person to go would be easy to set up.

The strongman competition where the competitors have to wade out into chest deep water and drag progressively heavier kegs back to the beach and stack them on a pedestal looks like a real life situation that combines numerous skills/modes and is a flat-out kick in the seat.

Last edited by James R. Climer; 12-18-2007 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: added 2nd paragraph
Old 12-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
Dan Heaney

Profile:

Use "Murph" and don't clue them in on doing the 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups and 300 squats "Cindy" style. That will ensure that you absoultly crush them. I like "Linda" as rx'd too. I think "Diane" is a good idea if you team can rip of HSPUs becuase PLs should be able to rip off the DLs @ 225.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
Gant Grimes

Profile:

You should win either way, but if you want to really program this in your favor, do Filthy Fifty and Murph for the metcons. They won't be able to lift **** the next day.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #7
Tim Donahey

Profile:

What would be fairest is to split the events into 1)What they do, ie Bodybuilding 2)What you do, ie Crossfit 3)What neither of you do, ie discus or long jump or keg toss or something

For day four I say go with bodyweight exercises. So Cindy or Barbara or Mary

Last edited by Tim Donahey; 12-18-2007 at 10:29 AM..
Old 12-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Just don't send too many people to the hospital.

Murph and Filthy Fifty sounds good.

Another one - Google - "Regurgitator" - fun stuff.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:20 AM   #9
Alex Europa

Profile:

All, thanks for the replies so far! I think Filthy Fifty on the 1st MetCon day and Fat Fran on the 2nd MetCon day. Those will be plenty devestating. I'm still unsure on what to do for the Final Event. I like the sandbag wall idea...I'm really bad at coming up with stuff like this...ugh! Any more suggestions?

Off topic: Tim, I love the quote...I just started lurking ************...pretty good forums there. Gotta love Rip's humor!

Alex
Old 12-25-2007, 07:09 AM   #10
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

For the Day 5 MetCon: If your guys can all handle ring dips, then do Elizabeth (your opponents will struggle with a single ring dip... 3x bar dips wouldn't be much better), if not, do Filthy Fifty.