CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-17-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
Shayne Brown

Profile:
Help Me Lose Bodyfat %!

Without going in to any sort of excruciating detail I want to significantly decrease my percentage bodyfat. In large part due to family genetics I tend to carry excess belly and love handle fat. In fact most all of the excess fat on my body is somewhere on my torso.

I don't care if I lose some strength or a little bit of muscle as I will gladly trade some of that for the ripped lean look that I'm looking for.

I'm 39/M/205lbs. Workout 5-6 days a week including a couple of days of Crossfit. Zone of 17 Blocks in as close to Paleo as I can eat.

I would very much like to hear from some folks that have actually done it. Not just someone who has lost some weight but people who have specifically targeted the loss of bodyfat % and have won. What was your diet like? How often did you eat? What did you eat? How often and how intensely did you work out? How long did it take you to lose the bodyfat that you wanted? Things like that are what I would like to know.

Anything at all that can help me achieve this goal will be appreciated. I'll be 40 soon and I want to be one ripped/lean looking dude by my birthday AND STAY THAT WAY for the rest of my life. Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone for their positive comments as I try to get this monkey off my back (belly)!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:17 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Help Me Lose Bodyfat %!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Brown View Post
Without going in to any sort of excruciating detail I want to significantly decrease my percentage bodyfat. In large part due to family genetics I tend to carry excess belly and love handle fat. In fact most all of the excess fat on my body is somewhere on my torso.

I don't care if I lose some strength or a little bit of muscle as I will gladly trade some of that for the ripped lean look that I'm looking for.

I'm 39/M/205lbs. Workout 5-6 days a week including a couple of days of Crossfit. Zone of 17 Blocks in as close to Paleo as I can eat.

I would very much like to hear from some folks that have actually done it. Not just someone who has lost some weight but people who have specifically targeted the loss of bodyfat % and have won. What was your diet like? How often did you eat? What did you eat? How often and how intensely did you work out? How long did it take you to lose the bodyfat that you wanted? Things like that are what I would like to know.

Anything at all that can help me achieve this goal will be appreciated. I'll be 40 soon and I want to be one ripped/lean looking dude by my birthday AND STAY THAT WAY for the rest of my life. Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone for their positive comments as I try to get this monkey off my back (belly)!
Shayne;

Have you tried the Search function, also look at Ten Pound challenge thread. This subject comes up weekly " My diet sucks, I'm Fat, please help"

If you read most of the nutrition posts along with what's in the archive, dial in your Zone, log your food intake via Fitday, post your food journal, you should be OK.
This is not rocket science, just good solid clean eating tied to a great fitness program.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
Shayne Brown

Profile:

Thanks for the quick note Jay. I have indeed searched the 10lb challenge and some of the other threads. The common theme is pretty much along the lines of what you said...dial in the diet...post and track on FitDay etc.

Unfortunately for me this must be rocket science because I cannot seem to get it dialed in. In terms of macro-nutrient nutrition I'm following the Zone at 17 blocks and I've literally gained 5lbs. And I'm not talking about 5lbs of muscle here. I'm talking about 5lbs that's suddenly hanging over my belt. Not what I had in mind when I decided to follow the Zone.

I'm guessing you're pretty lean. If there was a time when you weren't what did you do to get that way and how long did it take you? Did you follow the zone or paleo? Did you just go on a calorie restricted diet of some kind?

Any personal details from those that share my problem and have overcome it would be helpful not only in terms of what to do....but having the mental and physical perseverance to get where I want to go. Thanks again!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Brown View Post
Thanks for the quick note Jay. I have indeed searched the 10lb challenge and some of the other threads. The common theme is pretty much along the lines of what you said...dial in the diet...post and track on FitDay etc.

Unfortunately for me this must be rocket science because I cannot seem to get it dialed in. In terms of macro-nutrient nutrition I'm following the Zone at 17 blocks and I've literally gained 5lbs. And I'm not talking about 5lbs of muscle here. I'm talking about 5lbs that's suddenly hanging over my belt. Not what I had in mind when I decided to follow the Zone.

I'm guessing you're pretty lean. If there was a time when you weren't what did you do to get that way and how long did it take you? Did you follow the zone or paleo? Did you just go on a calorie restricted diet of some kind?

Any personal details from those that share my problem and have overcome it would be helpful not only in terms of what to do....but having the mental and physical perseverance to get where I want to go. Thanks again!
Shayne, if you did read the ten pound challenge, then you would have seen Susie and Sarena's EXTENSIVE POSTS--IN DETAIL OF WHAT THEY'RE EATING, and how they've changed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are obviously EATING TOOO MUCH FOOOOD AND MAYBE WAY TOOOO MANY CARBS. I don't Zone, but it sounds like you need to cut some blocks. Not going to address your fitness program, I'll assume you follow the WOD's in some way shape or fome.

Not in my sig line,is my Fitday link, you'll see foods eaten along with calories, fat, carbs, protein for at least 2-3 months.

I was heavy in my HS days, but took up running, that trimmed some fat, but did not add any muscle. Have always been in the 155-170 range. Since CF, I started eating meat again, Oly lifting, went from 162 to about 168 (on purpose), now maintaining. know that 1600 calories is maintenace, anything over that, I'll slowly gain, under 1600, loose.

So, post your food, every bite, we'll see how serious you are. Post it right in the Ten Pound challenge, now get to it.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Shayne, What worked for me (as Jay mentions) is logging everything you put in your mouth. I use an index card that I carry all day and then log my calories into fitday. I switched from a relatively healthy low carb diet to the zone and performance went up and I feel better. I average around 1800 - 2000 a day w/ the zone. Since joining CF in July, I have lost about 10 lbs of fat and packed on muscle.

What really opened my eyes was how much I underestimated the calories I consumed. Not only in portions, but I never realized how many extra calories get thrown into an average day (cream in coffee, a handful of this or that while waiting for dinner etc). Chances are, you are grossly underestimating. I also noticed that when on the zone, I don't need nearly as many calories as I thought. People tend to think that they need waaaay more than they really do.

Spend a week at a high level of discipline. Log onto that 10 lb challenge and get after it. I'm sure you'll feel better and start to see results.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
Steve Forman

Profile:

Shayne,

When I started cfing and zoning, my main concern was weight loss. zone recommended 19 blocks for my size, weight and etc. it was way too much food. it felt like I was stuffing myself. I also gained weight.

In the last two months I cut down to 15 blocks! 15 for me feels just right, not starving, no sugar craves, In the zone, still adding muscle and leaning out just fine. I have lost 10 lbs in one month due to the re adjust. I will loose another 10, then up my blocks to maintain that weight. Knowing my body really well, it easy for me to maintain a weight. so I know i can up the blocks at some point in order to maintain.

remember Rome was not built in a day, You cant make drastic changes really fast and expect immediate results. take it slow, like all the comments have said, and live life.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Shane,
Have you read the excerpt from Evolutionary Fitness at artdevaney.com? It is a great read, actually there are two great reads on his site. The point he makes is to simply train and eat like our ancestors, the hunter-gatherer's some 40,000 years ago. Tough to do, I'm sure. The Zone seems to be right along the same lines as what Art De Vaney is preaching. However, our ancestors did not write down what they ate. They did not count calories. I would not reccommend logging everything down that you eat. What I think you should do is definatley follow the Zone/Paleo way of eating as best you can, eating when you are hungry and eating the right foods, no more, no less. As for losing some bodyfat, I would suggest more metcon workouts along with highly intense activities (like sprinting and such, again, evolutionary fitness goes more in dept to this style of training). If your wanting to achieve a more ripped look and do not care so much about losing strength, then metcon is the way to go. For example, if I workout 5 days a week, I'm probably doing metcon 4 of them. Also, as we age, for example, every year after the age of 30 we lose a certain percentage of our fast twich muscle fibers (the fibers that keep us young). These are the fibers that you need to train. You train these by sprinting short distances and by lifting heavy weights for very few reps to name a few. You don't have to beat yourself up doing long arduous "cardio sessions" or marathon workouts in the gym. To achieve what you are after, less is better, not more. Keep your workout very intense and brief and eat clean.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:52 AM   #8
Shayne Brown

Profile:

Thanks for the input guys. I was able to check out the Arthur Devaney site and it follows very closely the Paleo way of eating. The thoughts on doing more MetCon workouts is also noted as that may help melt away some of this fat. I guess if I have to go to the old "two a day" type workouts to kick start this thing then that's what I'll do.

I'll also continue to work on the diet and cut back on carbs. The difficult thing for me is that for as long as I've been working out and trying to figure out my body, I can't seem to dial in exactly what is causing me to hold on to so much fat. Is it too many carbs? I don't think so but maybe a normal portion of carbs according to the zone is too much for me.

If anyone has any experience followed up with results when adjusting the portioning protein/carbs/fat, that would be appreciated. Thanks again for all of the input!
Old 12-19-2007, 08:05 AM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Shayne;

Just start doing it, no need for more input, BUT if so desired, did you read this thread?????? It contains a few days of eating, with great breakdown and results.
Enough said, now just get on with it.
Link is w/f/s.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...d=1#post230183
Old 12-19-2007, 02:26 PM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:

People have hit the diet angle, so here's my 2 cents:

1. Go for a 45 minute walk every day 12 hours separated from the WOD by 10-12 hours. Use an ipod or you will die!

2. Pick 3 WODs per six workout cycle (1 week) and do 15 minutes of rowing immediately after the WODs (HIIT).

3. Try to make it a habit to increase your daily activity. Do squats or pull ups during commercials. Get involved in a sport or physical activity. Take lessons.

4. Focus on performance goals and the fat loss will follow. Eat for performance, recover for performance, train for performance...fat loss chases performance.

5. Get Costco entric coated fish oil caps. Take 2 with every meal (for a total of 10 or 12 a day!

6. Eat a lot of green veggies. As a matter of fact, if your not full after a meal, load up on celery. It has a lot of fiber, very little carbs, and almost no calories. It will fill you up.

7. Let's say 1-2 lbs per week...three month until you see major weight loss. Don't rush it.

8. As you lose weight the amount of Zone blocks you need per day will decrease. People don't seem to get this. You should.

9. Monitor everything, weigh and measure...everything. For the first month or so.

10. Don't cheat for a month, then one cheat, then 2, then 3 per week (that's meals not days!).

11. Your going to eat a lot of the same stuff every day. I think I've had a cup of egg whites, an omega 3 egg, spinach, mixed veggies, green tea, and almonds, every day for breakfast, for over two years. keep it simple, cook protein once per week, buy in bulk.

12. Don't drink anything that has calories (juice, pop, etc.). Do drink green tea. I do 2 cups of green tea a day, at least.

Work hard, be patient.