CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-10-2007, 10:18 PM   #1
Ted Reinders

Profile:
Programming Help

I currently have three days a week dedicated to working out. My friend and I do bench press on Monday, deadlift on Wednesday, and squat on Friday. Most days we also practice our clean and some front squats, and one day a week we try to work on snatching (still learning), and one day a week we also do standing presses. It tends to depend on how much time we have, and also what muscles are still sore from the last workout.

Now, I know that Olympic lifts tax the CNS and this makes overtraining a different beast. That is, I have a pretty good idea how much is enough when I'm benching, deadlifting, or squatting, but I am not so sure how to gauge with O-lifts. I know the pros train extremely frequently and in very long sessions, but do they also use strength-training lifts? My workout partner and I love the O-lifts, so we would really like to do them a lot. So I am looking for advice; a complete overhaul of our routine would not be unacceptable, and if we need to add another day, that too is doable. I would like to incorporate the strength-training lifts (press, bench press, deadlift, back squat, and add in RDL), bodyweight exercises (pull-ups and weighted leg raises primarily: I don't have dipping equipment yet), and O-lifts (with perhaps special emphasis here), all in a way that will not completely overtrain us. This is just a bit beyond me, so I'm asking for some assistance.

Unless you have the time and inclination, it's not necessary to draw out a whole schedule for me. I am mainly looking for some guiding principles for combining the two training models. Maybe we should just be training like weightlifters if they also utilize the strength lifts, but I am not sure.

Thanks to anyone who read this whole post, and thanks doubly to anyone willing to offer some input.

Ted
Old 12-10-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Programming Help

Your current routine is too vague. Can you post an example (or the actual one)? Also, need what you can do for lifts.. as programming is different for beginner, intermediate, advanced, etc.

As for generalities many times you can just add work if you decrease volume or increase conditioning level.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:59 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Do you want to focus on powerlifting or Oly-lifting? If oly-lifting, then this might be for you.

http://performancemenu.com/ wfs

Performance menu calls for more, but if you can only work in 4 days of it, that would be good, too.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:16 AM   #4
Ted Reinders

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Your current routine is too vague. Can you post an example (or the actual one)? Also, need what you can do for lifts.. as programming is different for beginner, intermediate, advanced, etc.

As for generalities many times you can just add work if you decrease volume or increase conditioning level.
Monday: Clean and front squat*, bench press
Wednesday: Clean and front squat*, deadlift, leg-raises
Friday: Snatch*, back squat, standing press

Most days we also do some pull-ups.

* = Whether we do these (or how much we do) depends on the amount of time we have to work with.

My lifts are as follows: Clean: 90kg PR (also FS PR and the most I've attempted with these two lifts), deadlift: 315x5 (do not know full 1RM on any of these), BP: 265x5, squat: 225x5, snatch: 40kg (this is all I have attempted so far). There are egregious imbalances here, I know. For a while my equipment and lack of a workout partner (i.e. motivation) limited me to maintaining my bench press and not much else, so I have only been doing everything else regularly for a few months. We have only just started learning the O-lifts within the last two months, so we are still working on mastering the technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett
Do you want to focus on powerlifting or Oly-lifting? If oly-lifting, then this might be for you.
Olympic lifting. Thanks for the site, it looks potentially very useful!
Old 12-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Psshh. That's nothing. You should really learn snatch first though.. Start off with Burgener warm up and then do snatches at the beginning of every session until you can get that one down pat. After you learn the snatch, clean is extremely easy to get. Here's some vids to help you a bit (burgener warm up included wfs):

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Oly

As for your lifting there's nothing to worry about with CNS. Heck, Starting Strength puts beginners through a more intensive program than that. If you had the time you could probably add a 2-4 more exercises each day with cutting lifting to 3x5 (if you were doing something higher since you didn't give me rep ranges).