CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-10-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
Richard Hayden

Profile:
A Very Paleo Thanksgiving (Add your recipes)

Hi Folks, Please post your Thanksgiving/Holiday recipes here. Its that time of year again, where I for one struggle with my diet and give into the way friends and family eat. Lets come up with some tasty alternatives that they can enjoy too. Today I came up with this...

Pumpkin Nut Pie (Forgive me, I don't measure when cooking so these are estimates)

1 15oz Can 100% Pumpkin
3 T Olive Oil
1 Egg
1/4 Cup Egg White
2 T Honey (optional)
Hand full Almonds (Grind in Blender)
Hand full Walnuts (Grind in Blender)
1/4 C Flax Seeds (Grind in Blender - amount is after Grinding)
1 t Cinnamon
Couple Dashes Nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all wet ingredients in a bowl and mix with a fork, add dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Oil pie pan with olive oil. Glop bowl contents into pie pan and spread evenly (I say glop because my batter was pretty thick, if yours is not, add more ground nuts and flax seed). Place a few whole Almonds on top to decorate and Bake for 45-55 minutes. I use the toothpick test to test doneness.

This results in a very moist, tasty pumpkin nut pie, very meaty and satisfying. Eat warm, room temp. or refrigerate, good all ways. Give it a try and experiment and let me know how yours turns out, also add your other holiday recipe ideas.

Honey appears on some paleo list and not on others, I tend to think that paleolithic man might have dipped his hand on occasion into a bee hive and enjoyed a tasty treat. On rare occasions, such as this!
Old 11-11-2007, 04:36 AM   #2
Matt Emery

Profile:
Re: A Very Paleo Thanksgiving (Add your recipes)

Mix up some Chicken, Avocado, Cashews, and Baby Spinach for a wonderful salad. It's simple, delicious, and very healthy.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:07 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:

Pastured turkey. Cook it. Eat it.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Stuffed Butternut Squash

1 squash per two people, multiply recipe as needed

1 butternut squash, medium
1 large onion, chopped
1 bag frozen leaf spinach
olive or canola oil
salt and pepper to taste
pinch nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon

Cut squash in half vertically and remove seeds and strings. Place squash, cut-side down in a pan with an inch of water in it. Bake in a 350 degree oven until tender, about 45-60 min. depending on size of squash. You want it firm enough to hold it's shape for stuffing, but soft enough to remove the flesh.

When done, remove from oven, and when cool enough to handle, carefully take out some squash flesh but leave the shells intake. Put the removed squash flesh in a bowl and set aside.

Heat oil in a large skillet or heavy bottomed pot. Saute onions in oil over medium low heat until very golden, about 10-15 minutes. Add salt and pepper and frozen leaf spinach and turn up heat to medium/med.high, stirring frequently to break up spinach as it thaws. Add nutmeg and cinnamon.

When tender, add to the squash flesh in the bowl and mix well. Put a scoop of the mixture into each squash shell and return to the oven and heat through, about 10-15 min. Serve hot.

Variations: add raisins and/or pine nuts to the spinach mixture. If you do dairy, grate some smoked gouda into the spinach mixture, and top the stuffed squash a little more cheese. It's really good melted on top.

Susie
Old 11-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Pastured turkey. Cook it. Eat it.
Got mine today.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Danielle Marcellino

Profile:

This thread was a couple years old but it popped up in a google search. Maybe we can get some more recipes on here for the holidays!

I found this recipe on marks daily apple, there were arguements on "how paleo it really was" (with added agave). It's tastey and easy, paleo or not, and i think id do it again with some pumpkin and spices.

straight from the site....
To make six servings of Primal custard, you need:

■5 eggs
■2 teaspoon vanilla extract
■2 cups Original flavored almond milk
■12 teaspoons (1/4 cup) light blue agave syrup* (or honey)
■ground cinnamon or nutmeg
■six petit creuset pots or other small stoneware dishes
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a saucepan, combine the milk and agave syrup. In another saucepan, heat 1-2 cups of water. Bring both pans to a simmer. Remove the milk and agave from heat. Lower the heat on the water and keep it warm.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla until yolks are very smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the warm milk and syrup to the eggs, whisk together until well combined.

Using a sieve, pour egg mixture so it evenly settles in each dessert cup. Make sure to use oven safe dishes.

Place dessert cups in a baking dish big enough so the dessert cups don’t touch one another. Pour hot water from the warm saucepan into the baking dish so that it comes up to the level of the custard on the outside of each individual dish. This water is to prevent the custard from burning. This step is very important.

Slide the pan into the oven and bake until custards are set around the edges, about 40 minutes. Allow custards to further set by refrigerating for at least 2 hours. Or serve them right away, warm.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
John Harris

Profile:

I've baked ripe banana slices and apple chunks in a small casserole dish with about a half cup of butter (virgin coconut oil if you don't do butter). Cook until the bananas are mushy and sprinkle the top with chopped nuts of your choice (I used pecans). It's almost like a warm buttery pudding with crunchy nuts.

Another easy cave man dessert is just bananas fried in bacon grease.

Just make a big fruit salad with everything you can find.

Eat the turkey in large amounts.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
Jill Thomas

Profile:

Does anyone have a good paleo apple pie or apple crisp recipe???
Old 10-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
David Chavez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Thomas View Post
Does anyone have a good paleo apple pie or apple crisp recipe???
This one from Elana's Pantry is one that my wife and I have made with good results

W/F/S http://www.elanaspantry.com/apple-crisp/
Old 10-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
Jill Thomas

Profile:

Thanks David.....hoping to trick my family in to thinking it's regular apple crisp...otherwise they won't touch it