CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Barbell Cert. ???

I am currently been crossfitting for two months now and hoping to get my crossfit certification level one soon but since I am a college student I do not have enough money to go out of state to get a certification level one yet. I however noticed that they are having a barbell certification in Atlanta nov.17-18 which I live just outside of. Even though I don't have my level one cert. yet would it still be good to get the barbell cert. I'm really straped for cash but I can afford to get the cert. I eventually want to open my own crossfit gym but I realize I'm going to have to go find a job being a personal trainer to save money to start one up. I am also studying for the pt exam right now. So long story short, is it worth it to get the barbell cert. when I know it won't be (6-12 months) till I may be able to get cert. level one and train people in crossfit and have my dream to open a crossfit gym..
Old 10-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Barbell Cert. ???

Jason;
I'm a big fan of Certs/Workshops and continuing education. The BB cert focus's on DL, Bench, Squat and Power Clean, all important, thou not as CF oriented as would be an O-Lift Cert. If bucks are very tight, you might want to pass, though getting a chance to spend a weekend with Rip is always worth the price.
That cert is next on my list, just waiting for one to schedule for mid west or east coast.
Save your bucks for equipment and level 1 cert, unless your focus is going to be on more of a power lifting type CF, then by all means go.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Yeah, see I have enough money to go to it it's just that i don't know if I'm willing to take out a chunk of change from my savings for it. I really just need to get a job. Although I really am going to hate working at some gym where everyone thinks that running long distances and resting all the time in free weights gets results. I guess I'll convert the infidels at the gym to crossfitters. Does anyone know how much pt usually make at gyms though? Like at a YMCA or Gold's Gym or anything like that?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
John Schneider

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Tanner View Post
Yeah, see I have enough money to go to it it's just that i don't know if I'm willing to take out a chunk of change from my savings for it. I really just need to get a job. Although I really am going to hate working at some gym where everyone thinks that running long distances and resting all the time in free weights gets results. I guess I'll convert the infidels at the gym to crossfitters. Does anyone know how much pt usually make at gyms though? Like at a YMCA or Gold's Gym or anything like that?
That depends on where you are and how good the management is. Some places will only start you at 25% of what they charge the client with the rationale that they are drawing the client to you.As you get more experienced and start drawing your own clients most globo gyms will only go as high as giving you 50%. If you can get your own clients, you can see about renting space from a gym. If you can get them to charge you a percentage per client, you can keep most of the $ for yourself.

I think you should go to the barbell cert. Getting exposed to the level of experience from someone like Coach Rip will make you worlds better. I plan on going in Jan.

Good Luck!
Old 10-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Get the cheapest certification necessary to get insurance, get CFJ and read them all. Visit local affilliates/oly lifting coaches to learn DL,press and squat.
Get Starting Strength and Practical Programming by Mark.

Get insured, start training people. Use simplefit.org and read BrandX on scaling WOD's.

Attend the Cert Level 1.

That's my opinion.

If money wouldn't be an issue it would be: Attend anything you can - it's worth every penny!
Old 10-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Thanks for the help. I def. want to end up trying to get individual clients. Only issue is is that I am 18 and I hope that people just don't look at my age and think I am inexperienced. I'm studying for the NSCA-CPT exam. Since I'm a full time student they give discounts for membership and exams so I'm sure thats the cheapest. Plus my college has a bunch of study guides and books for the exam in the library specifically for the NSCA exam. How much do gyms usually charge clients though for personal trainers? Sorry I just work out at the local Y where all the personal trainers are free and not based on a client ratio salary.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
Todd Lynch

Profile:

Jason: There is a Level I cert in February in Decatur GA. I know it is sold out but you may want to email HQ and see if you can get on a waiting list for any cancellations (others have been successful with this approach). Also if you go to the facility web site http://decatur.sonzexercise.com/ (w/f safe) they had a posting that there are open positions for trainers. Hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

The barbell cert was incredibly informational and very valuable to me - nearly as valuable as Level I cert. If you don't attend the cert at least buy Rippetoe's Starting Strength which is worth every penny. I second what others say about reading the journal.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:43 PM   #9
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Thanks very much. That's alot of help. I have thought about going to a crossfit in Atlanta but it would be a big commute. Atlanta has some of the worst traffic ever. But I will def. look into it. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:10 PM   #10
Adam Head

Profile:

Jason,
I emailed HQ to be put on the waiting list for the Quantico Cert about 2 weeks before hand. They emailed me the next day saying a spot had opened up. I took it out of my savings too. It's totally worth it. When you're up in Athens, come visit.

Adam Head