CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:39 AM   #1
Joe Marsh

Profile:
Interesting link to some spectacualr acrobats sent to me by a classmate of mine. WFS

http://www.glumbert.com/media/acrobatic
Old 05-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Wow. That is amazing.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Incredible. Both in accomplishment and injury potential...
Old 05-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Garrett what are you talking about that is safe functional activity right there!

Some of those girls are in some funky spinal orientations that frankly are not healthy but striking to look at none the less... Are vertebrae supposed to do that?
Old 05-02-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Pierre,
Vertebrae CAN do that. Does it mean they should? I'm not one to judge.

There's only so much massive hyperextension I can watch before I can't stop thinking about the ramifications later in life for those (especially) girls & women.

As if the floor exercise wasn't enough, let's get two people to huck someone else in the air! The levels of difficulty in today's gymnastics/acrobatics is unreal...I'll stick with doing things that I might have some chance in heck of actually using in real life.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:16 AM   #6
Joe Marsh

Profile:
I did find myself wondering how some of those poses were back friendly. How can someone balance another person's full weight with one leg fully extended and fully flexed at the hip? Every now and again, you will catch elements of the push press in there!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Joe,
Those poses are not back-friendly. Acrobats, dancers, and gymnasts who are often doing moves that require excessive mobility like that are constantly in need of bodywork (from what I've seen and heard from others, like my wife, who is an ex-professional dancer).

Often their training will involve long holds of various stretches, which over time leads to laxity of the ligaments around a joint. Once that happens, the joints tend to "go out" in small ways all the time. Then, muscles have to create constant tension to maintain the joints in a decent position. Hence we get people who are both "too loose" and "too tight" at the same time.

People who push the boundaries are fun to watch though.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:59 AM   #8
John Seiler

Profile:
Holy Craaap! It's truly creepy how much their alien technology allows them to resemble humans!

I've heard that long term trunk bendiness on that scale leads to ruptures of the descending and abdominal aorta. Garrett?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
Joe Marsh

Profile:
LAXITY...thank you Garrett. I couldn't, for the life of me, remember that word. I was thinking that the ligaments would get stretched too far and had trouble finding that phrase that denoted this. Thank you.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Profile:
John, I have not heard about that one...since the aorta(s) are on the "far" side of the curve in extrem hyperextension of the spine, along with the likely lack of stretch-ability in blood vessels (they squish and contract OK, I don't know about stretching, though), that would be a possibility, especially done many times over the years and held for long periods of time. Combine those issues with the potential connective tissue "dysfunctions" that may be allowing someone to do those amazing things with their body and the stage is set. A simple, mild traumatic episode (ie. a failed new trick, let's say) and the problem is suddenly exposed.

Joe, glad I could be of assistance.