CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:37 AM   #1
Matt Smiley

Profile:
Found this article this morning in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/08/AR2006120801672. html

As I was reading, I was thinking to myself, "Holy cow! Did the Moving Crew (WP's regular fitness reporters) suddenly switch over to a 100% CF philosophy?" Then I got to the end and saw a name I recognized from these boards.

Nice work!
Old 12-12-2006, 06:46 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Good article Jamila!
Old 12-12-2006, 07:39 AM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:
I believe Jamila has ended her days with Crossfit.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:57 AM   #4
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
John,

Why would you say that?

Doug
Old 12-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
"a 100% CF philosophy?""

I'm just curious how is functional training which has been going on for decades owned by any one person or group? There are great ideas for all sorts of coaches and programs everywhere...but no one owns a squat, clean, medicine ball or any functional movement or piece of equipment.

Great article as it is educating the masses that you can be working out anywhere, that you need functional movements, that big box gyms and their lines of machines are not the optimal way to health. I wish articles like this were written every day! But this general attitude of "this is ours" is ignorant and needs to change.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:46 PM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Jamila is a great lady. She has written a few CF articles for the WP.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:57 PM   #7
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Mike, it sounds to me like Matt was just saying "Hey, cool, check this out, you guys--a mainstream article on some functional training that totally jibes with CF philosophy. You don't see that every day." It's not like he was deriding it.

Interesting though, isn't it, that despite the truth of what you say about the long history and breadth of these kinds of exercises, it turns out that putting these pasrticular tools and moves together in these particular sorts of combinations often seems to come from folks who got it from CF, as in this case. And, come on, sandbag, med ball, parallettes, plyo box, with DIY instructions that have all been discussed on this message board or in the journal multiple times--that's pretty clearly CF-derived. I mean, parallettes in the same breath as sandbags--that's not exactly a common combination for non-CF-exposed folks.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #8
Matt Smiley

Profile:
“I'm just curious how is functional training which has been going on for decades owned by any one person or group?”

Relax – I wasn’t trying to imply ownership. The sentiment I was trying to express was more along the lines of “Hey, we do all that stuff! This writer knows where it’s at!” rather than “Hey, all that stuff is ours. This writer is ripping us off!” Sorry if it came across as anything other than the excitement of encountering like-minded individuals.}
Old 12-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Where she got the ideas from in the first place, I can not vouch for, only she can. How she got the instructions to build it, maybe she did find them here. Are there other sites that talk about circuits using bodyweight or homemade equipment? Yep. I was using med balls, slam balls, sandbags, plyo boxes and functional circuit routines years before I found the CF site. CF seemed to just compliment and only enhance my learning through the knowledge and generousity of the people who make up the community, that I will not deny.

I just don't like the latest trend here of putting other professionals down or thinking people stole all ideas in the history of fitness from CF. Maybe it is just a small few, but it rubs me the wrong way. This is a great site of such wonderful people from all over. I would just hate to see a few bad philosophies get momentum.

Matt, I understand your excitement and that is a good thing. It was the "100% CF" that made it sound differently, so yes it was worded incorrect to your intention. Like I said above, I am excited too when I see the mass media promote functional types of fitness....more people need that education.

(Message edited by mike_od on December 12, 2006)
Old 12-12-2006, 02:01 PM   #10
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Mike,

Yep, I agree about the tendency toward boundary-drawing and us-and-them-ness even among practitioners who are doing more legitimate stuff than the big-box/pop-fitness/bodybuilding/infomercial stuff that pervades so much of the industry. I'd like to see the varieties of functional fitness acknowledging each other's contributions, debating the merits of one another's programs and philosophies constructively, and all working to debunk the pop fitness model from all our various angles—rather than breaking each other down as if we’re competing for some limited marketshare and mindshare. The cream will rise; the chaff will sink (if I may mix my agricultural metaphors), and kvetching at each other doesn’t much change that reality.

That said, skepticism, intelligent inquiry, and even downright challenges of validity are necessary sometimes.

And, as my earlier post shows, I also think that CF offers an invaluable--and unique--full-blown program and philosophy that is distinct from (and identifiable) the general versions of functional fitness/circuit training ideas that, as you say, have a venerable history and a respectable group of practitioners and proponents. There’s no reason not to acknowledge the CF influence when we see it. CF is out there for everyone to use, borrow from, incorporate into their own stuff, adapt, whatever--and that's totally cool. (In fact, it’s ideal—and if someone comes up with an adaptation that’s demonstrably better, bring it on. We’re about what works.) It's also cool to say "hey, that's a lot like CF" or "that comes from CF" and to acknowledge the brilliance and hard work that has gone into its creation and generous dissemination.

My thoughts on the matter.