CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-17-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
Ray McClendon

Profile:
Tomorrow I'll be 28 years old and I am fat. I'm 335# with 30%BF. I'm not a total slob, I have a lot of muscle but I also have a lot of fat on me too.

Right now I'm doing the 12 week beginner crossfit workout (doing the official crossfit warm-up 5 days a week before every workout) and am on the zone diet taking in 25 blocks a day. I'm always hungry but I imagine that's because I cut my cals by over 1500 a day.

I've only been doing this for two days so I'm not expecting results or anything yet, but I guess my point is this:

I want to drop a lot of weight/fat FAST. Then eventually get a physique similar to the Spartans from 300! ha ha ha. I know it's a far cry from where I am now but that's my goal and I know it's achievable. I'm just not too sure of HOW to achieve it.

Does anybody have any pointers/advice for me?

Thanks,
Ray
Old 04-17-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
Scott Borre

Profile:
Don't lose weight too fast. It can become toxic to your body. So do it healthily. I don't know the rule on how much is too much, but others might be able to help ya on that.

But stick to the zone (or something similar) and do CrossFit and you'll be fine. Just take it easy at first :-)
Old 04-17-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
John Nolan

Profile:
Ray,
happy birthday and good luck. Just stay with your plan and you will see results. It took some time for the fat to accumulate so it will take some time to get rid of it.
Juan
Old 04-17-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Also, with that level of weight loss there will be excess skin issues. Don't let it deter you.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
Luke Hope

Profile:
1500 cals deficit is a hell of a lot, especially at once. I think it's too much, especially if you're starting to work out and burn more energy too.

I don't know how much over maintenance you were, but anything more than 1000cals under maintenance is dangerous, and 500 cals is the safer, more pleasant way to go. I'm worried that you'll starve your muscles just as much as your fat.

Here's a reality check, too. Maybe you will at the start, but you are not going to lose a ton of weight fast, healthily. Also note that people who lose weight fast tend to put it back on... they find it unmaintainable.

You want to stay healthy for life, right? Then take it slowly. If it takes a year or more and it's healthy, that's better than attempting it in six months and failing half way through.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
David Bennett

Profile:
Happy Birthday Ray!

I'd echo Scott and John's advice to not rush too fast to lose weight. I got exicited about the potential of crossfit and jumped into doing too many kipping pull ups too soon and got a bad case of tendonitis from it. Ease into crossfit and weightloss. After the beginner program, take a look at Brand X's scaling of the WOD and start at the level closest to your level of fitness for a few weeks before scaling up. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Good luck!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Ray,
25 blocks is plenty I would guess it is close to 2200-2300 IF YOU WEIGH and MEASURE YOUR FOOD". This is enough to fuel a large athlete. You may be dropping your daily cals by 1500, but that is probably a good thing. This is entirely different from a 140 lb female dropping her cals by 1500 a day!

I agree, don't try to lose too fast, but 25 blocks is not going to cut your weight too fast. You may not be a "slob" but by medical definition you are obese. I doubt the 300 actors ate 25 blocks while getting ready for the movie, probably significantly less.

Do yourself a huge favor and eat low GI carbs. Green vegetables instead of grains. 25 block of carbs is equal to (roughly) either 50 cups of raw broccoli, or 9 slices of white bread. Think about how full you would feel after making either choice at the end of the day.

I will end by saying 25 blocks is a good spot for a muscular male. Read the zone as well as the paleo diet, think about it and drive on. Look forward to hearing about your progress on the message board!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:35 PM   #9
Damien Del Russo

Profile:
You are in the right place with CrossFit, but keep in mind that CrossFit is not meant to be a weight loss plan. That is one of the effects of being fit, but not the point of the exercises and WOD.

You might look to complement your CrossFit with some material meant specifically for weight loss. While I haven't gone through a program myself, I think if you look up Afterburn and Afterburn II by Alwyn Cosgrove you should find some interesting material. The afterburntraining.com website is pretty cheesy, but I think the plan will be effective. Alwyn is widely respected and his book The New Rules of Lifting emphasize a lot of the same exercises as CrossFit (especially deadlift, squat, and lunge).

Good luck and happy birthday,

Damien
Old 04-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Happy Birthday and Congratulations on beginning a long and rewarding process. 5 years ago I decided I was tired of being fat. I did it (still in process) and I know you can. There are great resources here so if you get discouraged, please reach out, via post, pm or email. This truly amazing community will reach back.

Also a great resource at http://forums.brandxmartialarts.com - check it out. Many of us on that board have started where you are now.