CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:57 AM   #11
Troy Archie

Profile:
Well I'm only 23 but I what Eugene said is 100% true. It's not finding time to workout but making time to workout. Why do you think so many people have exercise equipment sitting at home being used to hang laundry? They buy that crap with the mentality that they'll use it when they feel like it or when they have the time and it just ends up gathering dust.

A bit off topic here but I also hate the age excuse in any aspect of life. Things like not going back to school or traveling or taking any type of risk in life because of their age is a major cop out.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:15 AM   #12
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
When I turned 30 my OL coach often reminded me that it's harder to make weight and takes longer to recover now. PSSH! I proved him wrong for another 5 years! Turning 40 this weekend and I've finally resigned myself to the fact that it does take longer to recover and I'll have to work my *** off to compete as a 48k again, but the effort is well worth the results!

My children are in gymnastics and on the swim team so I put in some yardage in the summer and am practicing whatever gymnastics skills I can. I gotta stay a step ahead for as long as I can! I gotta an image to uphold. LOL
Old 05-05-2005, 09:33 AM   #13
Ron Nelson

Profile:
I'll turn 43 this weekend, whether I like it or not. I have 4 kids; all active in one activity or another. I coach 3 sports, 1 particularly well (softball). Regularly play slow-pitch softball and basketball, but I'm looking into other sports (some kind of MA, throwing heavy crap, biking). I read, I know that Bo Bice will probably be the next American Idol, I impulsively buy things on the internet (looking to sell my Ab-Scissor, any takers?), Oprah could lose some weight (but isn't that always the case), and who the hell is Dr. Phil?
After years of being a sedintary lardass, I got into shape; got married and out of shape; went to law school and got fatter; tried SlimFast and lost weight; got fatter; finally, with the wife's blessing, started working out again and getting really active at 40. Did Atkins, lost 45 lbs. June of last year, found CF; changed life. For good? Who knows, it's too early to tell.

So, what does Ron's little ramble mean? I always call myself "old" because compared to some of the young bucks around here, I am. I find that at 42-43, I tend to injure a little easier than I used to. But then again, I never used to be able to do pull ups, O-lifts, and squats. My knees do not bother me at all anymore, but as said above, the injuries have migrated. I have never used age as an excuse for my performance or for why I might take a day off. I have been this way since I turned 40. Some men, when they reach middle age, buy sports cars or cheat on their wives. Me, I decided to get into kick-*** shape and take on teenagers in basketball. Age???
Funny, I have a brother who is 2 years younger, but looks 5 years older than me. Then again, he works outside and smoked for a lot more years than I did. But, he never stops playing either. It's all I can do to get him to stop playing with my kids when he comes over. He admits, the kids keep you young, even if they kill your back!
So, what I'm saying is; age seems more a state of mind than a number. As I said above, I coach. It keeps me involved in the sport and gets me out with kids. I was thinking about buying a new pitching machine for our softball team next year because the old one is getting a little worn out. I'm the old pitching machine!! Fact is, I've got a lot of miles left on me and my speed is improving, so no new machine for a while.

Again, sorry about the ramble and waste of bandwidth. It's a sign of age, I guess.

Oh, I was kidding about the Ab-Scissor and Dr. Phil things. Apparently, my sarcasm isn't always clear. I call it the Barry Cooper syndrome.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:49 AM   #14
John Walsh

Profile:
This is a great topic and very inspirational for me. I’m 40, have three boys ages 4, 2 and 7 weeks. I work a fairly high stress job. I also work as a freelance writer. I’m involved in about 6 different organizations and my church. I make time to play with the boys everyday. I cook at our house and do the laundry, shopping and all the manly sort of things like yard work and trying to fix things. I’m glad to hear others are in the same boat and still training hard.

Everyday after work I go out to that garage for the WOD and will hit the bag and skip rope on off days. I’m not as fast as I was at 20 but I’m stronger and more versatile. I don’t recover as quick but I am far healthier. I abused my body terribly in my 20’s. Like others have said there is always time if it’s a priority. I’ve heard all the excuses and they are all crap. I have little tolerance for the lazy.

There is a family down the street from me. The mother is in a wheel chair because she is obese and smokes heavy. She is on oxygen and still smokes. Her obesity has qualified her for disability. As luck would have it her husband is also out on disability, smokes and is fat. I think he hurt his thumb or something. Coincidently their daughter in her 20’s is also out on disability, smokes and is fat. She must have a nervous bowel or something. She has two fat kids that one never sees playing on the street with the other kids. They have a beagle that must weigh 250 pounds. During that WOD last week when we ran miles and did sit-ups I did a loop past the local McD’s and there they all were shoving French fries in their faces. One look at this clan is enough to keep me going out to the garage for a workout for the rest of my earth bound days.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:05 AM   #15
Kenneth Ritchie

Profile:

Thanks guys for the responses to my post. I am glad to see that I am not the only one on this planet who thinks this way. I have base dthis on many years in the health and fitness industry and my studies which have covered sport psychology, sociology and health studies. I agree that there is the socio-economic factors in ones life that will play a part in their health however as we have discussed it doesnt mean that it is a definate. Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:15 PM   #16
Edward D. Friedman

Profile:
I'm a 45 y.o. husband, dad of 5 year old twin sons, self-employed professional:

My dad's heart attack when I was 5 y.o., and his physically compromised lifestyle until his death 8 years later made quite an impression on me.
( He was one of 4 brothers that survived WWII. The two that are still alive did not smoke. My dad and the other brother that's gone, smoked.)

My siblings are not fit at all and have numerous lifestyle risk factors in addition to the early death of our father.

I will always eat clean and seek out frequent, healthy movement.

Everything in life has a price. Healthy living in general and CF in particular are the cost of attaining and maintaining a quality of life that those who will not pay can never have.

( BTW, my choice of the word "cost" does not mean that a healthy lifestyle is unpleasant, or marked by deprivation. Sadly, that's the perception of many addicted to junk, processed "food" and physical inactivity. Even sadder, so many folks would benefit tremendously, and even come to love it, if they could just overcome the inertia of starting a "healthy lifestyle" program.)
Old 05-06-2005, 10:27 AM   #17
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Eddie has me beat.

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
-Satchel Paige
Old 05-06-2005, 04:26 PM   #18
Michael Keller

Profile:
I've got no sympathy for the lazy either. I've worked out in one fashion or another since I was 12. I turn 45 in August and am as strong as I've ever been. Most people think I am much younger than I am, which is a side benefit. The older I get, the less people are able to say, "Well, when I was your age....". I don't here that much anymore. I'm going to keep on plugging along until I die. No excuses, no whining, no whimpering, just get off your lazy duff and get to work.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:15 PM   #19
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I turn 40 on Mother's day and just 2 weeks ago I got carded! :lol:

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
-Satchel Paige

Probably about 30. :proud:
Old 05-06-2005, 05:42 PM   #20
David S Keisler

Profile:
guys you are the age barrier if you choose to be. Looks like Im older than some of you @ 57. I think Im as strong as ever just a little slower. If you look @ weds pic regarding the DBs ...I was pushin' 60... but now Im "pushin , 80" & proud of it.