CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
Brian Dolan

Profile:
Hi all, I'm a Firefighter looking to do something new to stay in shape and heard about crossfit...the more I heard, the better it sounded for my goals. Tomorrow is my first workout, and I don't have a lot of experience with Olympic style lifting...I'm going to do the Power clean workout tomorrow with an emphasis on form instead of weight...any suggestions on starting would be appreciated (but I have been reading the boards etc today).

Anyways, thanks and I'll be around.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
Jeff Dale

Profile:
Welcome Brian! Starting Strength is a great book to help you with lifting form and principles. Check out the form videos here: (w/f safe)
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

http://www.performancemenu.com/resou...ises/index.php

Practice form with an unweighted bar or pvc pipe to get the muscle memory down pat before trying to recruit all muscle fibers with added weight.
Practice, practice, practice.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
Ron Haskins

Profile:
Don't forget starting with the CFWU. for lots of people that's about all they can do just starting out. Even us firefighters unfortunately.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:16 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Brian, take it slow...three months of ramp up, at least! Slowly increase weights and reps to RXed amounts. For technique, work your weak areas in the warm-up (pull-ups, handstands, etc). Go very submax in warm-ups. If you have space, start to build a home gym (Pierre has a gym in the livingroom of his apartment). Start with a pull-up bar. Once you get the pull-up bar make a commitment to do 50 pull-ups every day. Every time you pass the bar, do 2 or 3 (you could count the pull-ups you do in the WOD and Warm-up). Once you could do 40 kipping pull-ups, in a row, use this technique for other weak areas. People tend to respond to my 3 weeks hard one week half volume plan...after 3 weeks at the WOD as RXed, do a half-volume week (half of either reps, weight, distance, or time, whichever makes the most sense). Every 12 weeks, take a week off. While your ramping up, take Dale's advise. If there is a CF gym in your area, sign up. Oh yeah, get the Crossfit Journal!
Old 03-31-2007, 07:20 AM   #5
Robert Olajos

Profile:
Check out on the message board for firehall workouts. Things like tailboard jumps to sub for box jumps, climbing the hose tower, farmer's carries with hose rolls, etc.