CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:27 AM   #1
Carrie Drew Herrin

Profile:
I'm a 34 year old female with 4 kids and have been a NASM certified trainer for 4 years now. I was introduced to Crossfit about 2 months before I left the large gym I was training in, to open my own studio. I love Crossfit and can see huge benefits in this methodology of training. I prefer this type of training. My problem is... I haven't been able to really dive in and absorb, learn and understand everything. I'm not confident with the Olympic lifts and only know a handful of KB exercises. My studio is set up for Crossfit and or just functional training. I just have WAY to much on my plate and seem to have no room or time for continual eaducation on Crossfit and it's exercises, on the side. Right now, I'm busy from 4 am to 3:30 pm with training my clients, marketing and tending to business matters. From 4:00 pm to 9:00pm I turn into a pumpkin and I'm a mom tending to the demands of a family. I need to make it a part of my life, somehow. I'm in the middle of expanding - moving to a larger space and bringing in Trainers (independent contractors) I want to have an exclusive Crossfit gym but don't know any Crossfit Trainers. How do I find them???? I figure if I fill my gym with knowledgable Crossfit Trainers - I'll learn tons just by surrounding myself in the atmosphere. Please - someone give me some guidence and help me fulfil my vision and dream of having a Crossfit gym -
Old 07-07-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
Skip Chase

Profile:
Hey Carrie,
Welome to CrossFit.
First, I suggest you purchase the journal and find some time to sit and read. Don't 'nibble' on it...'feast on it'. The journal has replaced all my college text books and cert text and info.
Next, I suggest you invest the money and time to get to a CF cert. I understand being busy, but you can't afford not to go. The certs are always Friday, Sat and Sunday. You can close shop on Friday..your existing clients will understand. You live in Redmond and there is a cert in Puyallup in October. (no travel expenses;if you want to carpool, we can pick you up on the way)

Take it slow...get the journal, and start there.

When it comes to finding trainers...mine were clients. I have 2 CF trainers who went to cert in Feb 2006, and 2 more going to the Puyallup cert.

IF you are serious and passionate about CF, email Tony Budding ( tony@crossfit.com)and discuss with him the affiliation process. We affiliated last Sept and thanks to CF we currently have over 100 clients.

Oly lifting concerns...Coach Mike Burgener will be at CF North in Seattle this month for an Oly lifting seminar. (www.crosfitnorth.com)Mike trains our US Oly team athletes..you can't get better training anywhere.
I hope that helps.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:53 AM   #3
John Velandra

Profile:
Carrie,
Get up with the already establish CF gyms in WA and start learning from them. From Olympia to Seattle, etc you have a wealth of expertice and knowledge available!!!

PLUS - everything Skip said. We got our affiliation while in the learning process and it was a great experience - great folks, great support - great people. Ya can't go wrong.

As far as the movements, start with what you know. Deads? Cleans? Front squats? Pull-ups? Use the exerciae link on the main site to learn, test and apply new exercises for yourself, then slowly integrate them into client sessions. If they can do leg extensions, they can lunge or do burpees.... simply integrate or add real movements in place of iso movements.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Just sent you an e-mail...

Old 07-13-2006, 02:58 PM   #5
Carrie Drew Herrin

Profile:
I want to thank all of you for your advice and input. It really helped me put a plan into action. I have someone I'll be able to work closely with on the different exercises and learn and absorb from. I've subscribed to the journal again, looking into the affiliation process. I thought you had to be cf certified in order to do that, no? Also - I've created the possibility of making the October certification in Puyallup. My goal is to also round up one other trainer and introduce them to Crossfit and get them to come with and certify at the same time. Do you know who is teaching the class?? Thank you tons! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I move along here. You've been a great help. What a wonderful community!

Old 07-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
Laurie Bowler

Profile:
Hi Carrie. Tony is the affiliate coordinator so he's the one ask about the affiliation process. tony@crossfit.com We'd love to have you in October, Greg and Lauren Glassman will be here along with their core crew of trainers from Santa Cruz and beyond. The format of the certification has changed a bit here recently but more can be found here: www.crossfit.com/cf-info/services.shtml Also, we're just south of you, I know Carrie and CFN are even closer but you are welcome anytime.

Laurie (and Kurtis) of Rainier CrossFit in Puyallup
Old 07-21-2006, 07:25 AM   #7
Carrie Drew Herrin

Profile:
Wow - by the way John, it's pretty freaky how similar our names and logos are for our gyms. A friend of mine had pointed it out to me - crazy!
Old 07-22-2006, 03:49 AM   #8
John Velandra

Profile:
LOL - to add it it,there's actually another DIF out of TX. Fitness eqt sales, but I'm not sure if they're still in biz. What's your logo like? Website?

Old 07-23-2006, 02:41 PM   #9
Mikki Lee Martin

Profile:
Hello and welcome- Remember this message board is also a fantastic resource for any specific questions, Try using the search function, or just ask it.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
Carrie Drew Herrin

Profile:
Hey John - sorry it took a while to get back to you - I have a website that's being created right now so I don't have anything for you to look at yet, but will let you know when I do. It's pretty darn close though - funny.