CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-04-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
Erik Davis

Profile:
I first heard about crossfit over a year ago, and I was actually getting gung-ho about it but then I tore my rotator cuff on a botched OHS and took some time off. Sadly, I never really got back into the "fitness mindset" since then and so over the past year I have basically done nothing but get fat and occasionally play basketball/racquetball with friends. But I plan on fixing that.

I now live in Dallas and the gym I have access to isn't the greatest. There's only one power rack and there is usually a line, so it makes doing that involve some amount of "circuit training" a pain. And I'm not capable of doing unassisted bodyweight stuff like dips and pull ups. But I have designed a program that I think get's the spirit of crossfit and I would like any and all criticism. My immediate goal right now is to drop to a healthy composition (I'm 6'4" and 230 right now, so I want to lose at least 40 lbs of fat, since I know it is there). I'd like to get to the point where baggage isn't holding me back from doing stuff like dips and pull ups. In fact, my long term goal is to do a planche push up. Short of that, I'd like to be able to do unassisted dips and pull ups. I've never done any in my entire life!

Anyways, here is my plan. Commas denote a sequence of activities to perform in an individual workout, semicolons separate workouts that are alternated every week.

Monday : Max Effort Incline DB Press ; 30 minutes "cardio"
Tuesday : (500m row, 21/15/9 assisted pull ups)x3
Wednesday: (400m run, 15 burpees, 9 push ups)x4
Thursday : Rest
Friday : Max Effort Deadlift ; Max Effort Squat
Saturday : (500m row, 21/15/9 assisted pull ups)x3
Sunday : Rest

My rationale for those workouts are that max effort days can be done in my gym with relative ease (I just find a bench / rack and claim it), nobody uses the rower or gravitron, and on wednesday I can do all of that at a local track without having to haul equipment.

I'm also planning to start doing the zone diet (or something similar). I'm not sure how much to eat. I have a tendency to get really hungry at night, to the point where I have trouble sleeping unless I feel *full*. Hopefully this is something that I can get over.

I'd like to try doing the paleo zone, but I'm not sure that I can feasibly eat enough vegetables. I'd spend half my day eating and the other half sleeping. Right now my inclination is to focus on eating green vegetables with frequency, but still relying on stuff like oatmeal / beans / wheat bread to provide a significant portion of my carbohydrate calories.

What do you guys think about all of this?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
Luis Munoz

Profile:
Hey Erik,

I just recently came back after a shoulder injury and can definitely identify with what your facing. I really think that the most important part of what you outlined is the fact that you are getting into the gym (or out to the track as the case may be) and doing SOMETHING. You can't help but benefit from whatever you choose to do as long as you do it consistently.

With that being said, you'll inevitably want to start changing things around at some point. Once you decide to start mixing it up a little more you might look to include things like DB swings (drag the DB over to the Gravitron and rower and you can do a modified "Helen"), air squats and unanchored situps (with the Gravitron again for a go at "Angie", "Barbara", or even "Cindy"), or Tabata intervals (for any and every exercise under the sun).

As far as the diet goes, I'm also doing the Zone and find that if I am going to fall apart, it's going to be at night. In order to counter this, I've taken to eating a snack before bed (1-2 blocks) so that I don't wake up in the middle of the night feeling like my stomach is eating my spine.

Good luck on your efforts.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:11 AM   #3
James Lewis

Profile:
There is a Crossfit gym in Plano.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
David Bennett

Profile:
Erik, hope to see you at Crossfit Plano some time.