CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-03-2006, 05:11 AM   #1
Don Woodson

Profile:
I couldn't decide whether this belongs in nutrition, or injuries, but here goes:
I've had this very small, barely visible, zit like thing on my cheek for a couple weeks, and this morning I must've cut it shaving.
I could not get it to stop bleeding to save my life. I completely saturated a whole tissue with blood and then half another before I could get it to stop bleeding. I thought I was going to be late for work. It finally stopped, but the bathroom sink looked like a crime scene.

Normally, I stop bleeding almost immediately.
So I'm wondering if there is anything I'm ingesting that may have thinned my blood too much.
The supplements I'm taking are: fish oil caps, Ultra Vitaman multiples, Creatine, and Yohimbe bark caps (very interesting effects, but a whole nuther subject). And in an effort to burn fat faster, I've recently started taking something called CLA.
Could any of these things cause excessive bleeding?

(Message edited by 54ford on April 03, 2006)
Old 04-03-2006, 06:53 AM   #2
Anthony Marzolf

Profile:
Maybe it was a mole? I have one on my face, and if I cut it shaving it takes forever to stop bleeding.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:22 AM   #3
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Don:

Having gone through major surgery recently, I was asked about anything I was taking that could thin the blood. I was taking everything you take except Yohimbe and the multiple vitamin (doubt it was that). No problems.

I think the simpler explanation is that the skin on the face is very thin and there are a lot of small blood vessels there (your arms don't blush, right). Get a stiptik pencil.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:25 AM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

The fish oil definitely reduces clotting time.

Other stuff that might (check that you're not getting it in some compound formulation):

Ginkgo Biloba
Garlic
Vitamin E at higher doses (> 400 IU / day)
St. John's Wort (minor effect)
lots of other stuff, too

Check what's in those "Ultra Vitaman" multiples, there could be several of these or other things.

I don't think creatine is noted to have this effect; I'm not sure about the Yohimbe or CLA.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
Don Woodson

Profile:
Nope, not a mole. I have one of those too that I regularly cut. Just a small red spot about the size of a pin head.
It was just kind of alarming as fast as it was streaming down my face and dribbling into the sink. Looked like an old Run Run Shaw movie for a while.

Yeah Dave, looking at the label of these multivitamins, and there's a ton of stuff in these. There's the usual stuff, plus a bunch of herby looking things like Saw Palmetto, Sarsparilla, Alfalfa, Watercress, Parsley, Cayenne pepper, etc., but no mention of St John's Wort. Only 100iu's of E/tablet.
Strange thing is, its only been a couple hours, and I can't even see the thing anymore. Not even a scab.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:29 AM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I'd like to know what this was, as well, because I've had a similar "thing" happen before exactly as you described years ago (during pregnancy) but hasn't happened again. Oh, and a styptic pencil didn't work - there was just no stopping it.

(Message edited by vgcarp on April 03, 2006)
Old 04-03-2006, 01:22 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
I vote for "Injuries!"
Old 04-04-2006, 04:28 AM   #8
Don Woodson

Profile:
That's cool Lynne.

Veronica, I have no idea what it was, but now it's totally gone, and I really do hope I'm not pregnant, (Don laying on back in maternity ward, screaming at wife, "YOU DID THIS TO ME!!").
Old 04-04-2006, 05:09 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Don, fish oil can reduce clotting, but that is a good thing too...prevents heart attacks. I don't think it reduces clotting that much though. Some things just bleed more. Wrap your face in duct tape and call it a fashion statement.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:12 AM   #10
Don Woodson

Profile:
Thanks Larry, I was thinking it the fish oil might be a contributing factor in the bleeding, but now I'm realizing I forgot to add Turmeric to my list of supplements. I picked up a bottle at the store, and have been putting it on my scrambled eggs (damned tasty IMO).
When I bought it, it was because I saw a thread on it, but didn't have time to really read up on it. Now that I've read up on it a little, I'm wondering if maybe I had some kind of dorment tumor just under my skin, and the Turmeric reacted with it somehow. Because now, this mole I've had on my thigh is doing strange things too. It appears to be getting smaller, and the immediate area around it is slightly swollen and inflamed. I dunno, maybe I just bumped it or something.
Maybe I oughta see the doc.

So you think maybe olive drab or silver duct tape? I'm at a loss.
The green would clash with my tin foil hat, but the silver would clash with my INFIDEL shirt.
I'm SO confused.