CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-10-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
Micheal Rowland

Profile:
I know this has been discussed here previously, so I aplologize for bring this up again. I was unable to find anything using the search function.

I want to mount a 100 lb heavy bag from an unfinished ceiling and was wondering if anyone has constructed a device to do such. I have seen the rather expensive mounts from diffeent boxing websites and wanted to see if someone has constructed anything homemade. This would be in an unfinished basement and I wanted to mount the bag between two rafters or joists. Any ideas? I did find this and think something similar would be great.

http://www.karatedepot.com/bx-ac-32.html

Thanks
Old 06-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
Damon Stewart

Profile:
I used two eyebolts and a length of steel cable for mine. I bought the biggest eyebolts Home Depot had, drilled pilot holes, then used a screwdriver to help twist them in. I did buy a spring from title boxing to help absorb a little shock. My bag is a 100lb Muy Thai bag.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:17 AM   #3
Darby Lee Darrow

Profile:
I would recommend using something between the anchor and the bag to absorb the energy of the bag as it drops. I used to use 4 black rubber bugie cords that were tied together with zip ties. A student of mine returned from the farm and brought me a spring from a tractor which I now use.

Without something to absorb the shock, your rafters are going to take a beating.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
Don Almer

Profile:
Hello there,

The gym I built at my place has a couple of 100lb thai bags. I used a 150lb. heavy duty bag spring to absorb the shock and used a t-sized swivel to mount em onto my beams.

www.combatsports.com is where I get almost all of my MMA gear.

I'm not soliciting business because I don't profit from it, but I'm a wholesale distributor and can get you discounts if you want (again, I charge nothing) on a lot of gear. Usually good savings or you can sign up for an account.

Contact me at srchubz@verizon.net
Old 06-13-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
Depending on how far apart your beams are, you can get a solid steel pipe (Home Depot) four “U” shaped bolts w/the mounting plates and nuts (Home Depot). Drill a hole in both beams and slide the pipe through. Make sure you put two of the U-shaped bolts on and in the middle of the pipe first before you slide the one end all the way through the other hole. Once done, take the two remaining U-shaped bolts and attach them to either end of the exposed pipe on the outside of the beams and tighten them down to insure a snug hold. That will keep the pipe from sliding back and forth. Then take a snap ring aka: carabiner (Home Depot) and place that between the two tightened middle U-shaped bolts. Take your bag chain and attach it to the carabiner at what ever height you want it to hang. The pipe is supported across two beams instead of one to distribute the weight better and removes the stress off of just using one beam. I just put up a 100lb heavy bag two months ago and it works great.