CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
Jimmy Yeh

Profile:

I checked out the price of 4 X 8 plywood at Home Depot and it was around $35-40! I'm trying to build a plyo box and one from newyorkbarbells is only $100. Does anyone know where I can get one cheaper or get cheaper plywood?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
Chris Jordan

Profile:
Plywood is pretty high right now. I suspect if you look around at home depot you can find something 3/4" that will suit your purposes at a lower price.

I built mine from some scrap lumber I had laying around...but I have a wood shop so...

$35 isn't much really. That, some drywall screws, some glue and a couple of hours and you'll be in business. I'd say save your nickels until you can buy. Until then find a big rock or a short retaining wall or some stairs...anything that will give you the right height.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #3
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
Jimmy - I've searched high and low and the price for the new york barbells plyo boxes can't be beat. Here's a tip, though..If you do a search on amazon, they have the same boxes from new york barbells even cheaper (and that includes factoring in the shipping) !!
Old 06-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #4
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:
Not sure how everyone else has done this, so I will give you a quick description of how I did it. I think I used 5/8" plywood that was around $20 for a 4'x8' sheet. I made two boxes, 10" and 20" high. Both boxes are 20" square on top to allow a good amount of space. Instead of trying to do some angle brackets, or fancy joins on the corners, I attached the ends of the plywood to a 1"x1" board. Here is a simple diagram without the top on it.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/25681.png

To attach the top, just make sure the 1"x1" is close to the top of the plywood, and you can screw into it from through the plywood top.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
Greg Davis

Profile:
I hear ya, anything more than 20 bux seems like a lot to pay for something to jump on.. I was looking around for something to improvise with and what I ended up doing was pulling out an old compost box that no one has used for a long time. Its a little awkward but it works!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #6
Brian McCarrie

Profile:
Before I built my box, I was jumping up steps. They work fine.

When I made my box I used the super cheap 2x3s for the frame. I put a piece of 3/4 inch plywood on the top and only covered 2 sides with the cheaper 1/4 inch plywood. The other 2 sides are open. It's plenty strong and it works great.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
Darby Lee Darrow

Profile:
But from one sheet of plywood you can make three boxes. One 24 inch, one 20 inch and one 10 inch. Now thats a bargain! I had six boxes made from two sheets. I had Dixieline lumber do the milling, so that added to the cost, but if you have the skills go for it!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:39 PM   #8
Norm Rager

Profile:
I just spent barley less than $100 at Home Depot for the following:

2 sheets 3/4 ply - 20/sheet - good for at least 4 boxes
1 gall Kilz primer - 18 - good for more boxes than I'll build
1 gall porch paint - 17 - same as above, and my small porch
Box 2" screws - 16 - I'll probably lose more than I'll ever use of these.
Already had a bottle of waterproof Titebond glue.

Now that I've looked at the receipt, they screwed me for almost $8 - the paint was on sale! Damn!

I built mine 'ala' Lincolns Plans. http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/14917.html . I got a 20" and a 12" out of one sheet. I'll make a 24" and a 10" out of the other (in at least 1/2 the time, learning curve and all!) There's a bit more waste in the angled version.

Makes for a great Sunday afternoon while listening to a ball game on the radio. Save the cold one(s) for after the power tools (driving screws, glue and painting doesn't necessarily count) Don't forget the all important drying time before the second coat of paint!
Old 06-13-2006, 06:41 AM   #9
George Brothers

Profile:
i would agree with making your own. much cheaper. while the box online is 100 then shipping is 35. for 135 i could build a dozen boxes. would take a while but as long as time is not an issue then i would rather save the $. you can save yourself time at home depot by asking them to cut the pieces for you too. just go when it is not so busy, usually early morning or during the week in my experience.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:22 AM   #10
Jimmy Yeh

Profile:

But I only need one box. Does anyone from Atlanta want to split plywood or have an extra one I could buy off them?