CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-05-2005, 02:58 AM   #1
Noah Silverman

Profile:
Hi,

My old Tanita scal finally died. Time to buy a new one...

I really like the idea of a scale that does some kind of bodyfat reading. I KNOW that they're not super accurate.

My question is: Does anyobdy have any experience with these types of scales? Is one brand/model considered the best one? Any advice/suggestions?
Old 05-05-2005, 04:48 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Noah, I know this isn't what you want to hear...but I'd ditch the scale for the digital bodyfat calipers. There more accurate and more consistant (which is, by far, more important). They are also cheaper. You can use them on yourself. Just a thought.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:34 AM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Noah, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to help, either. I'm also going to dis the Tanita scales.

In my (limited) experience, the electrical-impedance type of bodyfat testing (like the Tanita) is a waste of money. My wife laid out something like $100 on one, and it shows me a +/- 8 percentage point swing over the course of the day (hydration levels, I guess).

I judge my bodyfat by the "mirror and clothes" test (and man, is it ugly). If I needed to know the numbers, I'd do calipers.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:42 AM   #4
Mike Ryan

Profile:
I agree with Larry. Ditch the scale. I have a Tanita and it is useless. I have been away from exercise for a few weeks and am just getting back into it, but prior to the layoff, I had lost several inches from my waist, hips, neck, and chest. The change was obvious in the mirror, but the Tanita scale showed no change in BF%. No way the scale was even close. The reason I started taking measurements was because the scale was starting to get me discouraged. I felt good and felt like I was losing fat, but I had no conformation. Because of this, I will continue to take body measurements am going to try the calipers. Anyone have a favorite brand for accuracy/ease of use?

Mike.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:57 AM   #5
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I reciently started using the funtion on my scale at home - just for fun.

First of all, it says that I have 20% + BF. . . with a mild 6-pack, and NO my *** is not that big.

Then I can drink a glass of water and have it tell me that I just gained 0.2% body fat.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:07 PM   #6
Michael Pearce

Profile:
I use the Accu-Measure. Cost me $12.00 and is much better than the digital ones I have found.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:58 PM   #7
Noah Silverman

Profile:
Thanks guys. You just saved me a bunch of cash. I guess I'll go buy a "regular" digital scale and some calipers. Any reccomendation for calipers??
Old 05-06-2005, 09:19 AM   #8
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
I have the digital calibers and I think they suck. They are suppose to use the right amount of pressure to take the reading but I can take it several times in a row and it is always different. IMO they were a wasted expense. Furthermore, I don't need calipers to tell me if I am gaining or losing bodyfat because I can tell by my the way my pants fit or just pinching some fat. I don't care what the number is so what is the point in being anal about it.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:07 AM   #9
John Frazer

Profile:
I wonder how much of the BF% on the scales comes from the electrical measurement at all.

I suspect it's really based on an estimate from height/weight/sex and age. Mine is very consistent (the only thing that moves it more than half a point is dehydration) -- but when I turned 39 and changed my age in the settings, my BF% went up a point. I experimented with it and found that if I tell the machine I'm 20, I can lose 3% instantly.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:03 PM   #10
Michael Keller

Profile:
Does anyone know what brand of calipers are reliable and where the best place/price is?