CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-27-2006, 08:19 AM   #1
Chris Bonvie

Profile:
Im looking at this with total disbelief and wondering If Ill still be alive by the end. I've been in for about 2 weeks and realistically tihnking I wont be able to finish, I was tihnking of cutting it in half and doing 25 reps of each for time, but my buddy said to complete the whole tihng and just take out the "for time" aspect. Any suggestions? Should I just not be a pansy and man up?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
Chris Jordan

Profile:
http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewtopic.php?t=1817

Scroll down to Garddawg's entry then decide if you're puppy or pack and go for time. The "For Time" makes it all worthwhile.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:43 AM   #3
Chris Jordan

Profile:
By the way, this is commonly referred to as the "Filthy Fifty" workout.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:48 AM   #4
Chris Bonvie

Profile:
ha ha ha gotcha. Yeah I saw in the comments the filthy fifty. I was leaning more towards for time because that's easily the thing I need to work on most is my cardio and endurance. Thanks for the help chris.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #5
Alex McClung

Profile:
I think this one originally showed up on Father's Day last year and was dubbed "Father's Day 500" by some clever cookie. One of the hardest WODs I've ever done: DNF 1st time, ~65 min 2nd time.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:09 AM   #6
Martin Schap

Profile:
Why not just get started and see how you feel? This isn't something that you should expect to finish in 15 minutes, but I wonder if you might surprise yourself. One idea would be to break everything down into 10's. That way you could take a few seconds as a breather quite frequently while keeping intensity fairly high.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:17 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I had two guys do the whole thing today and one guy (older, military, new to CF completely) do 25's. Good estimating on my part, they all took around the same time to finish.

IMO, always keep the "for time" part. Adjust the reps, don't be afraid of that. There will always be next time when you can either go for a better time at the lower rep count or set a new PR at a higher rep count (the first time of any workout is always a PR! :proud:). That way you're always progressing and winning small battles (that promotes motivation!).:proud:
Old 04-27-2006, 11:33 AM   #8
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Jumping pullups after box jumps. That's pure evil genius.

I'm with Martin (above) aim for the stars and take what you can get. Bear in mind that 40 mins is a respectable time for a chipper like this.

Good luck, and most importantly don't make the mistake I did (twice) on this one and do 55# kb swings.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:55 AM   #9
Nicholas Burgett

Profile:
I've done this one twice now, and have used both approaches. Most all of my CF WOD's during the week are at lunch time, so out of necessity, I sometimes need to cut the reps short to fit the WOD into my available time (I'm not quite the animal some others here are!).

The first time I did this was on 3-18 (a Saturday), I did the whole thing and it took ~55 minutes. This last one was during the week, so I scaled everything to 30 reps of all 10 exercises and finished in about 27 minutes.

No matter which approach you take, I know one thing for certain. Of all the WOD's I've done (only in for 2 months mind you), this is the only one that causes my entire body to shake and quiver half-way through - regardless of the number of reps!