CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-13-2005, 06:03 AM   #1
Daniel Doiron

Profile:
I was thinking of subing Jump Pull-ups for Rows. I find the SumoDeads HighPull are tough on shoulders compared to rowing. Has anyone tried this before? Or any other sub for rows (that can be done in a weight room).
Old 04-13-2005, 06:09 AM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
"Tough on shoulders" in what way?
Old 04-13-2005, 06:48 AM   #3
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Dan,

First of all, if you're having shoulder issues with SDHP, make sure your form is good - you need to keep your elbows up (see the slide show in the "Exercises" section of the main page.)

For the record, I also think SDHPs are unsatisfactory as a sub for rowing. I'm basing that purely on the difference between how I feel after rowing 500m to how I feel after 50 45lbs SDHP. However, as far as I'm concerned this is God's way of punishing me for not being rich enough to own a CII, so basically I've just got to suck it up and get on with it!

What I would say to you Dan is that you are working out for YOUR benefit, so as long as you are honest with yourself that you are subbing for the right reasons, and not just to avoid stuff you simply don't like, then you could use more or less any full-body exercise that gets your heartrate up and leaves you gasping for air - jumping pull-ups certainly fall into this category, as do burpees, double-unders, and clean-and-jerks - you're only limited by your imagination.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:07 AM   #4
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I am thinking contextually today. So I think it depends what WOD you are doing. For example if you were substituting a 5k row, you wouldn't want to do jumping pullups. You'd probably die (or at least I would). You would probably sub run, swim, bike, elliptical machine, etc.

If you were subbing it in a WOD with other exercises you'd want to see what they were focusing on and how long the Row was. For FGB I just subbed jumprope and I liked that. Seemed like a good choice. I'm sure you could do the jumping pullups in that context. In fact, that would a great sub for FGB.

That being said, I would follow Peter's advice and be creative and intelligent and don't sub it out just so you can do something easier.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

The only problem with jumping rope as sub for rowing is that it is very skill-dependent . . . as you get good, the workload drops.

I jump rope a lot and can generally go 500 turns or so pretty easily . . . although it takes a while (maybe 5 minutes), there's no way that will match the energy expenditure of rowing for 5 minutes. If I was still beginning, well, it would be a better substitute.

Of course, I can just do consecutive double-unders with the rope . . . that still destroys me.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:57 AM   #6
Daniel Doiron

Profile:
I am not saying that the SDHP kill my shoulders, but I think for most people, performing the SDHP is more demanding on Traps, Delts than rowing is. I just thought that the Jump Pull-up is a good match with the rowing for the following reasons:

Similar leg pattern and speed,
Similar back muscular activation (compared to jumping rope, SDHP, etc),
Similar shoulder demands,
Similar lower back movement (isometric extension),
Similar AB contraction.

I have tried the Jump Pull-Up on bars of different hight and have found that a bar that is approx. 6-8' above reach is good (depending on your jumping ability). It almost feels the same as working on the C2 at max resistance and 500m sprints! I have yet to figure out how much to sub for how much tho'.

If anyone else tries this, let me know. I am curious to know if it works for anyone else.

Also, during the Jumping Pull-up, I usually touch the floor with my fingers at the bottom of the squat before I jump again. It makes for a very full movement and good triple extension (ankle, knee, hip).
Old 04-20-2005, 02:53 PM   #7
Kalen Meine

Profile:
I remember there was a picture posted a while back with a WOD about leaping to support on parallel bars- an "interesting metabolic challenge." They started from a position where they could actually touch the bars, so for the shorter ROM on a pullup, the height seems about right. Definitely a worthwhile sub IMO.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:48 PM   #8
Ross Greenberg

Profile:

This sounds like a very good substitution for shorter distance rowing. I'll try it next time I am out of reach of a rower. Thanks, Daniel.