CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 07-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #211
Alex Europa

Profile:
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
My random guess is what this is what's happening to these football players. I'd be very skeptical if they are claiming it's rhabdo.
My random guess is that it IS rhabdo. Each hit in football is like a mini car crash; which is one of the most common causes of rhabdo.

However, this isn't really relevant to the discussion, because for the most part, we should be discussing recreational (tag/flag) football that most weekend warriors play. In those instances, I think the chance of being stricken with rhabdo falls somewhere between hit by lightning on a sunny day and the Earth being obliterated by a meteor. However, in the last 3 months alone I have known at least 10 military members (regular admin/support types, not operators) who have blown out an ankle, knee, arm, shoulder, etc... playing "pick-up" sports for fun. Feel free to call that different than doing CrossFit for S&C, but let's be honest with ourselves...an average Joe getting severely injured playing a pick-up game for fun is NO BETTER than someone getting injured doing CrossFit. Ideally, neither should happen...but **** does happen. I will say that I DEFINITELY concur with people who state that coaches/trainers should program intelligently and draw the line between safety and intensity based on each client's history/background/experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Roden View Post
right but there was a coach video a few years ago where he said if someone showed up to the games and did well, they would find out what their programming was and copy it. But no followup...
I definitely agree with this and would love to see a modification in the programming to more closely match what is being done by the top CrossFit athletes...to include multiple WODs in a day, programmed in intelligently. Since HQ already states that the mainpage WODs are for the "elite," then they should at least go all-out and program as such instead of their half-assed mosseying in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Jackson View Post
Normally I'm getting ****ed at people for shirking their responsibility. This is a change. I'm getting ****ed at people for putting responsibility where it does not belong.

This board is ****ed up.
I'm not sure why you are here if you feel that it doesn't align with your beliefs or goals.

Regarding your point on responsibility: THIS LINK (W/F/S) is ONE CLICK away from CrossFit.com and it even says "START HERE." Seems pretty straightforward to me. Although, I think that a disclaimer about some of the more seemingly innocuous exercises (e.g., GHD situps) should be included on that page, either at the top or under category #2. Otherwise, I find it hard to place any blame on CrossFit for people not following ONE LINK and listening to the advice presented there.

Furthermore, I think that people on here have made a good distinction regarding accountability. If one pays for training (or in the case of military affiliates, looks to the trainer for guidance), they should MOST CERTAINLY expect someone to properly guide them through the process. Yes, there is some level of common sense that should apply, but that only falls under the most ridiculous of scenarios...9 times out of 10, a client should expect the trainer to get them in and out the door without serious injury.

On the other hand, anyone who comes to CF.com and does their own thing is 100% accountable for their actions. The information IS out their for them to learn about things before they get started. That's exactly what my friends and I did 4 years ago when we were deployed. We read everything we could and watched all the videos. We took it upon ourselves to learn as best we could since getting coaching was not an option for us. Would I like to see some kind of warning on days when high-rep GHDs come up? Absolutely. Have I seen people "doing CrossFit" so horribly wrong on their own that I am truly worried about their health? Yes...on an almost daily basis. But the EXACT SAME THING can be said about the guys/gals in the weight room doing "normal" routines:rounded backs on deadlifts, scary excessive arching on the bench, partial shoulder press/squat reps, and epic butt winks under 600+ lbs on the leg press machine are but a few examples. Poor form was not created (nor is it generally perpetuated) by CrossFit...although I effing HATE when a video pops up on the mainpage with clearly unsafe techique that contradicts everything that they preach.

Wow, a quick post turned into quite the diatribe...this is why I need to stay away from forums.

- Alex

Old 07-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #212
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Loeding View Post
First, Gillian did not use common sense in her training - her trainer's fault, her fault, I don't know. Doing 150 pull ups after not doing CrossFit workouts for a while - that, my friends, is stupid. Doing BW exercises x 50 (or 100 - doesn't matter) is stupid. Just plain dumb. If she cannot control herself and there is no one there to tell her to stop, scale, don't do it, then that's on her and the people she surrounds herself with. I wouldn't do that crap and I'm an idiot. But I KNOW BETTER !!! I wouldn't run 10 miles on a whim either.
I agree, which I why I don't do workouts that include things like those. The problem is that 50-100 (or more) reps of those exercises are regularly programmed on CF.com, and despite all the stuff in the FAQ about scaling, there's nothing on the front page to suggest that people might need to scale things. People have to do a little digging and know what they're looking for to find the BrandX stuff. And the FAQ subs aren't always smart subs--for instance, the recommended sub for pullups is jumping pullups, which are very likely to lead to rhabdo if someone isn't explicitly instructed not to resist on the negative portion of the movement.

Putting a "warning--don't do all these reps if you haven't worked up to this kind of volume on your own" advisory on a workout with a lot of GHD situps would seem like a no-brainer, but even common sense warnings like those have never appeared on CF.com.

I'm all about people taking personal responsibility for their actions, but I also don't think it would hurt anything for CF.com to put up a few warnings or advisories here and there.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #213
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
Regarding your point on responsibility: THIS LINK (W/F/S) is ONE CLICK away from CrossFit.com and it even says "START HERE." Seems pretty straightforward to me. Although, I think that a disclaimer about some of the more seemingly innocuous exercises (e.g., GHD situps) should be included on that page, either at the top or under category #2. Otherwise, I find it hard to place any blame on CrossFit for people not following ONE LINK and listening to the advice presented there.
Again though, some of HQs own recommendations for scaling have been shown to cause rhabdo. Who's fault is that? Who's fault is it when someone does all their homework and then gets rhabdo because they subbed a boat load of negative pull ups into one of their workouts on the advice of HQ? Or did 120 pull ups and 120 dips instead of 30 muscle ups?

Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #214
Alex Europa

Profile:

Matt, no disagreement here. That's why I said that I believe the START HERE link needs more information...I wish I could edit my original post to reflect jumping pull-ups along with the GHDs to better emphasize my point. Thanks.

- Alex

Old 07-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #215
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Ok, I think many of us can come to an agreement on a few points here:

1) People should exercise, whether it be for health or for the fulfillment of a competitive nature.

2) Exercise, in all it's forms, has the potential for injury. Common, freak, bizarre, neglegent, whatever the cause or injury, there is always a risk.

3) CrossFit done right (excellent coaching, good facilities, a system of checks and balances to prevent people from doing too much, and an athlete that will say, 'enough' when they need to) can lead to tremendous results, and can be a great benefit.

4) CrossFit done wrong can be horrible, torturous, injurious, even deadly.

5) Mainpage CF (both programming and warning/education) has been leaving many disillusioned and disgruntled (or worse).

I know that I have had great experiences with how I have done CF, and will always have a tender spot in my heart for it, as well as continue to use it as I need to throughout my life. Will that be everyone's experience? No, and I won't force it on anyone.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:02 AM   #216
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Ever seen that in an NFL game?

Yeah - I've seen plenty curled up in the fetal position with concussions, being carted off and into an ambulance, broken legs, arms, busted knees, shoulders....
And notice how rule and uniform changes have been going into effect the last couple of years to lower the injuries?

Old 07-28-2011, 03:06 AM   #217
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I'm all about people taking personal responsibility for their actions, but I also don't think it would hurt anything for CF.com to put up a few warnings or advisories here and there.
Exactly, and I would add they should give scaling suggestions right there too.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:00 AM   #218
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
And for those who think they are experts in the CrossFit field, open your own gym and provide clients with a resource that will help them become fit with a lower possibility of injury. I find it irritating that all CrossFit gyms are lumped togethe without visiting all of them. Are there bad ones ? Yeah, no doubt. Are there good ones that scale and take measures to prevent injuries, overtraining, etc. Yep.

If you disagree with the premise behind CrossFit, you are free to pursue your own avenues of fitness. There is not a one size fits all. But I don't see the purpose of some of the people here who only rip CrossFit and do nothing to contribute positively to the program. I hate long distance running but I don't go to their forums and rip them apart. It's time to decide if you are part of the community or not - if not, then don't rip those who are.
I did open my own gym, although I don't consider myself an expert in the CrossFit field. I don't consider myself an expert in any field. I can only take what I've learned and try to apply it in the best way possible for my clients, and then I can go out and learn more every single day.

I have also repeatedly stated that not all affiliates are the same. But, that's part of the issue that I see that needs to be resolved. Should all affiliates be able to have their own "flavor?" Yes. Should all affiliates have to possess the same minimum level of competence? Yes. Do I know the BEST way to do that? No. But, I don't think the best way is a single weekend cert and then you get turned loose to open a gym. It is true that anyone could go out and open a gym without being a CrossFit affiliate, but putting a brand name on it changes everything. Because then each and every CrossFit affiliate represents CrossFit. Then each and every video posted on the internet and labeled "CrossFit" represents CrossFit, whether it is a video taken by HQ or an affiliate or by a random dude in his garage.

I own my own gym, and I still train at CrossFit affiliates. I have people training at my gym who also train at an affiliate. Later today, I will start calling every single CrossFit affiliate in a four state area to invite them to the NC Weightlifting Championship. Given the popularity of CrossFit, I think it is hard for anyone who is involved in S&C, powerlifting, weightlifting, or a multitude of other sports to just ignore its existence.

I don't run either, and I don't go to running forums to rip them apart. But, I also don't think every single thing that is said on a forum has to be positive. If it was, what would be the incentive for change? How would improvement ever take place? I thought USAW and the USOC just screwed up in a huge way with Nationals, and guess what? I posted my opinion on the USAW Facebook page and on several related forums because I like weightlifting and I don't want that to happen again. However you define "community" do you really think that every single person in that community has to agree about everything?

If what I said on these forums wasn't contributing positively to the program, then CrossFitters would stop asking for my advice.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:32 AM   #219
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
If what I said on these forums weren't contributing positively to the program, then CrossFitters would stop asking for my advice.
Or they've only seen your methy pics and just want the secret for the abz

Last edited by Renee Lee; 07-28-2011 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: not so subtly correcting tam's grammar, giving her **** AND an excuse to get involved in this thread before it gets locked

Old 07-28-2011, 05:48 AM   #220
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
Or they've only seen your methy pics and just want the secret for the abz
And, this happens at least once a week.

And, no one yet has said, "I want the secret for teh abz, but I need you to learn the correct use of the subjunctive before you give it to me..."