CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-23-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
I am trying to get some of my younger athletes to gradually change over to a more paleo way of eating. Well of course one of the mothers doesnt agree with the whole no eating pasta rule. She confronted me and told me we needed to talk about this. I gave her some quick background info in that an insulin spike is the pathway to fat storage. She stopped me right there and said "yea but if you eat protein first, and then the pasta then you wont get such an insulin spike and everything will be ok. And same goes for grains. And if they were so bad for you then why would all the diets and books always recommened whole wheat pasta?" I basically told her we'll have to discuss this one day when we have time to sit down. Any suggestions on how to answere some of these questions? I am not even sure where to start at lol. There is so much to talk about...

Thanks to everyone in advance!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
"if they were so bad for you then why would all the diets and books always recommened whole wheat pasta?"

Ughhh....such a losing battle to fight sometimes...but the only thing you can really do is find some good articles on the dangers of grains and print it off....other that that people come to it on their own terms.

But Dr Phil said it's ok....the mentality of America...kind of like Vaccines are bad for kids since the govt approved it....yeah Mercury is what everyone needs.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #3

Profile:
i agree with you on that one mike...it really is a loosing battle. Any recommendations on sites to print of some good articles or the dangers grains?

Any thoughts on eating protein before pasta can counteract the insulin spike?
Old 02-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
Scott Clark

Profile:

Charles you can browse http://www.mercola.com/ for some quality articles to present to her. This article http://www.mercola.com/article/insulin.htm is particularly good and touches on the information you confronted her with.

As far as it being a losing battle, probably so. The herd mentality is strong enough in adults when presenting this eating style for them, trying to convince a sheepish adult that a Paleo style diet is good for their child will be nearly impossible. She already mentioned "diets and books recommend whole wheat pasta", so perhaps there is hope she will read some of Dr. Mercola's or Dr. Cordain's research, seeing how they have books and all.

Another good idea is to show her the USDA food pyramid in comparison to the Zone pyramid. It may be more difficult for her to argue when she sees a familiar pyramid with the bottom tiers comprised of water and fruits and veggies.

Good luck, you'll need it!

(Message edited by scott_clark on February 24, 2007)
Old 02-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Eating protein first will definitely lessen the insulin spike rather than the carbs first mentality....but no one eats that way...it's all mixed together and chances are they have very little real protein and tons of carbs.

Mercola is good, also some of the old PM issues have some good stuff on grains, try also looking in like the Paleo diet newsletters.

Of course with athletes they will need carbs too as muscle glycogen needs to be replenished. If anything stress that carbs are best utilized after a sport or workout...not all day long...at least try and get the carb timing down in their life so they can maintain performance without getting fatter.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:35 PM   #6

Profile:
since a major source of calcium is found in dairy, can they use calcium supplements to replace the dairy??
Old 02-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
Roger Smith

Profile:
Most groceries (well where I'm located anyway) carry "low carb" spegetti. It is higher in protein, though not the best protein.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
"since a major source of calcium is found in dairy, can they use calcium supplements to replace the dairy??"

US has the highest Dairy consumption per nation....and also the highest rate of Osteoporosis....so that is another false statement prob invented by the Dairy industry to sell more milk.

Veggies have plenty of calcium...but it's the overly acidic body PH that leaches Alkaline minerals from the body like Calcium, Mg, K, etc...So have an balanced diet as grains and dairy are acidic by nature...more fruits and veggies.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
Why don't you show her the insulin index?

(link safe for family and work)

http://www.mendosa.com/insulin_index.htm

insulin score for pasta: 40
insulin score for beef: 51

hold on, maybe you shouldn't show that to her if you want to convince her to avoid pasta.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
That index while facinating is not real life...it's based on fasting glucose and response....who fasts 10-12 hours before every meal? Who doesn't add proteins, fats and carbs together? Since it's the insulin response to the whole meal that counts. If someone is already eating healthy then they are not going to go solo on pasta alone anyways.

Yes protein does have an insulin response esp after fasting due to the body able to use it as fuel by gluconeogenesis.

I dont think the GI index is really a useful tool unless you are trying to explain why white bread is deadly.