CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: What do you guys think about Paleo Purism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
but none that comes close to honest to goodness chocolate brownies with homemade ice cream. Which is one of the reasons *why* I don't eat paleo.
Same here. No weight issues or blood work issues I'm worried about so I enjoy some ice cream now and then. And maple bars when I visit my family.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Taken from Robb Wolf's latest podcast (paraphrased because I don't remember the exact quote):

"The paleolithic nutrition philosophy is a logical framework applied to modern humans, not a historical reenactment."
Old 11-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #13
Bridget Fernandez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Keatley View Post
Have you seen the discussions about how eating foods that resemble Neolithic foods with technically Paleolithic ingredients is just furthering the poor food paradigm? What do you all think?

Should we dissociate ourselves entirely from anything that was born after the agricultural revolution?

Is this a snobbish elitist attitude?

It's a valiant notion...but is it really even logical?

I wrote about it here http://www.health-bent.com/nutrition...fense-of-paleo. Work and family safe.
Great site!!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I hope this isn't considered a hijack, more of a slight tangent; what about sleep?

Paleo purists, and many others, tell us that we need over 8 hours of sleep, to completely darken our rooms (even the alarm clock, cable box, etc), etc. Did you ever sleep outside on the ground like our ancestors? There is no way they got a solid 8 hours of sleep.

It's noisy outside, they would have FAR less comfortable bedding, the moon and stars can be very bright, not to mention fire, they would be sleeping in groups with people going to the bathroom, snoring, etc all night, there would be animal noises, they might even need to stand guard against other tribes and animals, etc., the temperature would be wildly variant, etc etc.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
Todd R Bailey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I hope this isn't considered a hijack, more of a slight tangent; what about sleep?

Paleo purists, and many others, tell us that we need over 8 hours of sleep, to completely darken our rooms (even the alarm clock, cable box, etc), etc. Did you ever sleep outside on the ground like our ancestors? There is no way they got a solid 8 hours of sleep.

It's noisy outside, they would have FAR less comfortable bedding, the moon and stars can be very bright, not to mention fire, they would be sleeping in groups with people going to the bathroom, snoring, etc all night, there would be animal noises, they might even need to stand guard against other tribes and animals, etc., the temperature would be wildly variant, etc etc.
I thought the same thing. Maybe the answer is that without electricity (or candles for that matter) Paleo man went to bed when the sun went down. So, while the quality of sleep may not have been that great, maybe they generally spent more time "in bed". Since its not realistic to tell people to go to bed when the sun sets, the next best thing is to suggest as much sleep as possible and ensure that the sleep you get is restful, i.e., completely dark room, etc.

I have no idea if this is the basis for the suggestion, it's just what came to mind.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #16
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I read somewhere that they wouldn't have gotten 8 solid "straight through" hours, but rather would have done like a 3-4 hour sleep cycle, been awake and mildly active for a few hours at night, then slept for another 3-4 hours til sunup.

of course, I have NO EARTHLY CLUE how anyone would know and/or study this...but yeah. It's all so interconnected (sleep, diet, activity) that there's really no way to call a single "magic bullet". The person that eats a 90% "Pure" diet with 10% junk but is sleeping for a solid 9 hours per night is probably doing better than the strict Paleo eater that's getting 4. Maybe....
Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #17
Kat Mcguire

Profile:

I LOVE the recipes on your site. Can't wait to try the "paleo" pancakes and the "paleo" pumpkin cake with that delicious looking icing. I prefer not to label my diet anymore. Most people I talk to have no idea what paleo is. I like to have a treat once in a while that doesn't destroy my gut, give me a headache or induce a binge.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #18
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I've sleep outside on a level ground in a sleeping bag. Slept like a rock till the sun came up. 8 hours is a rough guess too, some people may need less, some more, and may vary with the seasons.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:35 AM   #19
Ian Nigh

Profile:

I have slept outside, in caves, tents, trees and boats. I have had restful 8+ hour sleeps in all of these places. Some of them were very dark too.

In any case, as has been mentioned, its about what makes you feel best and be healthiest, not about pretending to be cave people.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:54 AM   #20
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
I have slept outside, in caves, tents, trees and boats. I have had restful 8+ hour sleeps in all of these places. Some of them were very dark too.

In any case, as has been mentioned, its about what makes you feel best and be healthiest, not about pretending to be cave people.
I'm sure I have too, but you were also in a sleeping bag, boat, tent, etc. And didn't have to do it year round in all weather.